Growing Herbs

Category Herbs
Herbs are best when fresh. Growing your own ensures the ideal level of freshness and also allows for drying some for later use. This is a guide about growing herbs.

A great weekend craft for anyone who uses herbs in the kitchen or anyone who wants to spruce up their yard.

Tip: This craft makes use of old bricks. They needn't be perfect; actually the more character the better!

Approximate Time to Complete: 60 minutes or longer depending on size of garden

Materials

Instructions

Lay out: Before beginning, decide how you will lay out your garden. Use the picture as a guide. Also take into consideration if the plants require full sun or partial shade when deciding on a garden plot location.

Preparing garden plot: If you already have an area to place the garden, add manure and soil only if necessary. Go to the Assembly instructions.

If you do not already have an area to place the garden, you must pull up and remove sod, add sheep manure, and add new soil to the garden. You will make use of the garden tools at this stage of the project.

Assembly: Once the garden plot has been prepared, you will began to place bricks in the format you have decided on. Make sure to level the soil before beginning. Start with the inside bricks first to ensure you have enough space on the inside. Create 7 separate sections, each divided by 2 bricks placed on their sides. Then move on to create the edging. Place the bricks against each other to form a neat looking wall. Fill any gaps with soil. Once the edging has been completed, place one herb plant in each of the 7 sections. Water plants to ensure a successful transplant to the new location.

Enjoy your new easy herb garden and with a little tender loving care, you should be able to harvest herbs for cooking in no time at all.

By Lisa from Halifax, Nova Scotia

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

It can be very expensive to buy herbs (fresh or dried) from the grocery store. The next time you need to buy a bunch for a recipe, purchase a potted herb plant from the home improvement store instead. Herbs like basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary, and chives can be grown easily indoors all year round and one plant can last years if cared for properly. I live in Florida and have an extensive herb garden that grows year round. Not only do I save money by never needing to purchase seasonings at the store, I also trade the herbs with my friends and neighbors who grow vegetable gardens.

By Mrs. Monz from Palm City, FL

Many commonly used herbs are grown as perennials. These plants provide herbs for cooking, flowers, and fragrance for potpourri and other crafts. This is a guide about growing a perennial herb garden.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Nothing is better than harvesting homegrown fresh vegetables, but to really "spice" things up in the garden, consider setting aside a small corner for cultivating herbs.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I would like to know how to grow herbs, and how and when are they ready to use.

By huguette from FL

Answers

I'm in FL too. Are you wanting to grow them from seed or starter plants from a store? I always buy mine at Publix ($2 a plant is the cheapest I've found, (even cheaper than Walmart or HomeDepot.) You can start using them immediately. And the more you use the better. (I tried to grow cilantro from seed without success, so I just stick with buying the plants.) I put mint in my water or tea.

I use basil, oregano in my cooking. I also grow catnip and my cat thinks it's wonderful. Just chews it right up. Be sure to repot regularly. The roots seem to grow very fast, especially basil. And don't let them get fried in the FL sun, most like shady, dappled light outside. Have fun!

What is the best way to grow a herb garden outside? Last year, I put several in a planting box, but did not use them often enough and it became overgrown.

By Becky Muehl from Madison, OH

Answers

Becky, I grow herbs each year and never use them enough as there is just me and my husband so I trim them anyway and then I dry them in the dehydrator for about 20 minutes and crush them, put them in the freezer in a left over butterbuds bottle or any small container and when I need them they are just like fresh. You can dry them in the microwave to. Better than going to the store in georgia to find them.

To NEATLY grow herbs, I use 3# margarine tubs, cut out the bottom and that is the perimeter of what ever herb goes inside. I leave about 1 inch above the soil, stick the plant/seed inside. They get trained to stay in their own pots where without the tub, they would wander and get unsightly in the garden.

I harvest when necessary, encourages growth. Esp with parsley and chives, I grab a handful at the bottom, cut it and wrap a rubber band around it. Makes for easier washing, you can 'swing' air dry it and also shove it into a bag in the freezer to pull out and deal with all at the same time for permanent use.

This picture is from spring 2007. I grow flowers and cucumbers here also. This area is about 6 ft x 7 ft.

I purchased 12 comfrey cuttings and planted them on April 20, 2016. It has been about 3 weeks and nothing is growing. Am I being impatient or should they have sprouted by now? Also, I would appreciate any advice on making this a successful venture.

Thanks.

Answers

When you plant your comfrey cutting you need to plan them in soil that is well worked. It is good to plant them in spring, summer and fall. The clipping should be planted in a shady area and not in direct sunlight.

You planted early in the season. If the spring has been cold they might be a little delayed.

I live in Mesa Arizona. Can I plant basil and tarragon together?

By Lisa

What is the best way to grow an herb garden outside? Last year, I put several in a planting box, but did not use it often enough and it became overgrown.

By Becky Muehl from Madison, OH

Answers:

Growing Herbs

I use 11" to 17" pots on my deck for growing herbs, one herb variety to a pot. My biggest pot is reserved for basil, which I love and use the most. I also have an 8" pot of flat leaf parsley, which can come in, for the winter, and go back out the following spring.

Last year, I tried leaving my rosemary out, in the ground and covered it with another pot, to protect it. I live in Zone 3. I don't know if it will come back. It is still snowing here.

You must remember to pinch back the tops of the herbs to make them bush out and then to pick them, frequently. You can wash and dry them and just put each type of herb in a reclosable bag, in the freezer, to freeze flat and use as needed.

I even had greens in a "window box," but didn't use them and some of them bolted. I won't make that mistake, this year. They will get used! My deck is not only beautiful, with all the greenery, but it smells wonderfully, between the herbs and my flowers! (04/08/2009)

By Carol

Growing Herbs

I need to plant a new herb garden here. I had one at my old house. It was in a full sun (never got shade) with not the best soil and thrived, smelled good and made an ugly piece of property very pretty. I had every kind of basil and sage, lemongrass etc. I also surrounded it with petunias and marigolds and stuck a few pepper plants and cherry tomatoes in there so it was attractive and useful, even though I seriously neglected it. (04/08/2009)

By anna