School and Work LunchFood Tips

Use Mason Jars for Lunch Items

For my lunches, I use wax paper to wrap my sandwiches in, but I often take soup, salad, jello, or puddings. For these I have several different sizes of mason jars. You can store these in the freezer, fridge, and they can be microwaved. After use, wash and return for tomorrow's lunch.

Also, all my baking supplies are in mason jars. You can go to garage sales or second hand shops. I have even been given them free from people who don't can anymore.

By Marymargaret from Scotland, Ontario

This would also be a good idea for certain fresh fruits or veggies that could easily get crushed in transport. I also like the idea of using in the microwave instead of plastic containers often used for lunches. Just be sure to handle with care as the jars get hot to handle!

I have a bunch of mason jars with lids and I use them for everything! Storage in the fridge to toting with me when I'm out and about. No more plastic! I fill them with with my filtered water and take 2 in my car.

I've made nice salads in my mason jars - think of layering like a layer cake. When it's time to eat, stir and mix! My food seems so fresh and vibrant when I eat it!

Anonymous

I love it and especially knowing you can microwave food in them! I experimented with a few glass items that I wasn't sure if they were microwave safe or not and, unfortunately, a couple of them broke so this is good to know they won't break :-) My new experiment will now be to see if the Marie's Salad Dressing jars will hold up in the microwave because I have about a dozen of them trying to find ways to use ;-) One use was making a hanging candle lantern ;-) Anyway, thanks for the tips of how you use the masons! :-)

So easy too. Thank you for sharing this simple yet wonderful idea. Going to start looking to get some. So much better than plastic...anytime.