Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

We bought an old pop up last fall (86 Starcraft). The pin holes it had in the roof turned out to be much bigger. Needless to say, we have water damage. We are down to the foam in the ceiling.

I would like to know how to repair this? Can anyone tell me 1.) an inexpensive way to just have something there to enjoy the camper for the summer and 2.) the "proper" way to repair it? Thank you!

By Becca from ME

Check out and do a search. This question comes up now and then. If you don't find your answer, sign up and ask. There are lots of great guys and gals there who have lots of information.

Roofs are a hard one though--not sure what they'll suggest!

Hi Becca,

If the roof is fiberglass just go to the local automotive parts store, you want the fiberglass in a can.

Clean the area with alcohol and sand if needed.

You mix the fiberglass with hardener (in a toothpaste tube looking thing) I mix on a piece of picture frame glass.

You spread it on the roof with a rubber spatula looking thing. Make sure you smush it down so there are no voids.

Once it dries you can sand it smoother. This way snow and ice won't get in the cracks and crevices.

Ria also in ME

I guess I need to be more specific. We have fixed the roof, we are now trying to fix the inside ceiling. All that is on the ceiling now is foam. Sorry.

May 30, 2010 Flag

What can I use to patch spark holes in the canvas ends of a pop-up camper?

By still looking from IA

Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

There are special kits for this. Any place that sells the canvas tents should have the patch kits. The kits are under $5. (01/19/2010)

By mom-from-missouri

Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

I have patched small holes in pop-up camper canvas by getting a small piece of sailcloth, or canvas, cut slightly larger than hole, use needle and thread, (we used fishing line), to go around the edges first, so it will not unravel, then stitch the patch over the hole, or patches over the holes. Next, get one can of Camp Dry, or Scotch Guard, and give it a spray, according to directions. It will be pretty well sealed, or at least was for us, and cost very little, with fabric left over, and using fishing line we had. The can of Camp Dry should be laying around with the gear anyway. Hope that helps. (01/21/2010)

Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

Are the holes in the canvas or the screen? I have patched screen with stickers. A sticker on the inside or outside does the trick. Inside is best. It doesn't get as wet when it rains. If they don't want to stick put a little bit of Gorilla glue on the sticker and hold it in place for a few minutes. If you use the glue I would put another sticker on the outside because it looks kind of funny without an other sticker. On canvas, I imagine that stickers would work too. It looks kind of pretty with stickers on screens. (01/22/2010)

By sassier299

A truck towing a vintage popup camper.
Repairing a Popup Camper
Home and Garden Repair OtherMay 30, 2010
Sky Blue Retro Travel Trailer 3
Buying a Used Travel Trailer
Cleaning a Tent, Tent in wet conditions
Cleaning a Tent
Blue and Yellow Dome Tent
Buying a Tent
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent