Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

It is simple and inexpensive to fix holes in a pop-up camper. Check this guide for tips on repairing holes in canvas tent trailer.

We bought an old pop up last fall (86 Starcraft). The pin holes it had in the roof turned out to be much bigger. Needless to say, we have water damage. We are down to the foam in the ceiling.

I would like to know how to repair this? Can anyone tell me 1.) an inexpensive way to just have something there to enjoy the camper for the summer and 2.) the "proper" way to repair it? Thank you!

By Becca from ME

Best Answer

Hi Becca,

If the roof is fiberglass just go to the local automotive parts store, you want the fiberglass in a can.

Clean the area with alcohol and sand if needed.

You mix the fiberglass with hardener (in a toothpaste tube looking thing) I mix on a piece of picture frame glass.

You spread it on the roof with a rubber spatula looking thing. Make sure you smush it down so there are no voids.

Once it dries you can sand it smoother. This way snow and ice won't get in the cracks and crevices.

Ria also in ME

Check out www.popupexplorer.com and do a search. This question comes up now and then. If you don't find your answer, sign up and ask. There are lots of great guys and gals there who have lots of information.

Roofs are a hard one though--not sure what they'll suggest!

I guess I need to be more specific. We have fixed the roof, we are now trying to fix the inside ceiling. All that is on the ceiling now is foam. Sorry.

I am doing a Fleetwood camper now. We cut the vinyl aroun the edges of the ceilinf with a knife, stripped the vinyl and wet and fotting plywood down to the foam insulation amd imstalled with 3m spray glue 1/4 in primed liam plywood. We attached the plywood below the alum angle that previously held the old plywood and will paint the ceiling with an exterior water based product. We may need to apply a small alum angle on the sides of the top to cover the screws we used. Neatness in your workmanship makes all the difference in appearance. We used a 2/4 "T" brace to hold the ceiling in place while the spray glue set up for about an hour. Good luck with your project.

What can I use to patch spark holes in the canvas ends of a pop-up camper?

By still looking from IA

Answers:

Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

There are special kits for this. Any place that sells the canvas tents should have the patch kits. The kits are under $5. (01/19/2010)

By mom-from-missouri

Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

I have patched small holes in pop-up camper canvas by getting a small piece of sailcloth, or canvas, cut slightly larger than hole, use needle and thread, (we used fishing line), to go around the edges first, so it will not unravel, then stitch the patch over the hole, or patches over the holes. Next, get one can of Camp Dry, or Scotch Guard, and give it a spray, according to directions. It will be pretty well sealed, or at least was for us, and cost very little, with fabric left over, and using fishing line we had. The can of Camp Dry should be laying around with the gear anyway. Hope that helps. (01/21/2010)

By LJF

Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

Are the holes in the canvas or the screen? I have patched screen with stickers. A sticker on the inside or outside does the trick. Inside is best. It doesn't get as wet when it rains. If they don't want to stick put a little bit of Gorilla glue on the sticker and hold it in place for a few minutes. If you use the glue I would put another sticker on the outside because it looks kind of funny without an other sticker. On canvas, I imagine that stickers would work too. It looks kind of pretty with stickers on screens. (01/22/2010)

By sassier299