Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

It is simple and inexpensive to fix holes in a pop-up camper. Check this guide for tips on repairing holes in canvas tent trailer.

May 30, 2010 Flag

We bought an old pop up last fall (86 Starcraft). The pin holes it had in the roof turned out to be much bigger. Needless to say, we have water damage. We are down to the foam in the ceiling.

I would like to know how to repair this? Can anyone tell me 1.) an inexpensive way to just have something there to enjoy the camper for the summer and 2.) the "proper" way to repair it? Thank you!

By Becca from ME

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Hi Becca,

If the roof is fiberglass just go to the local automotive parts store, you want the fiberglass in a can.

Clean the area with alcohol and sand if needed.

You mix the fiberglass with hardener (in a toothpaste tube looking thing) I mix on a piece of picture frame glass.

You spread it on the roof with a rubber spatula looking thing. Make sure you smush it down so there are no voids.

Once it dries you can sand it smoother. This way snow and ice won't get in the cracks and crevices.

Ria also in ME

Check out www.popupexplorer.com and do a search. This question comes up now and then. If you don't find your answer, sign up and ask. There are lots of great guys and gals there who have lots of information.

Roofs are a hard one though--not sure what they'll suggest!

I guess I need to be more specific. We have fixed the roof, we are now trying to fix the inside ceiling. All that is on the ceiling now is foam. Sorry.

May 30, 2010 Flag

What can I use to patch spark holes in the canvas ends of a pop-up camper?

By still looking from IA

Answers:

Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

There are special kits for this. Any place that sells the canvas tents should have the patch kits. The kits are under $5. (01/19/2010)

By mom-from-missouri

Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

I have patched small holes in pop-up camper canvas by getting a small piece of sailcloth, or canvas, cut slightly larger than hole, use needle and thread, (we used fishing line), to go around the edges first, so it will not unravel, then stitch the patch over the hole, or patches over the holes. Next, get one can of Camp Dry, or Scotch Guard, and give it a spray, according to directions. It will be pretty well sealed, or at least was for us, and cost very little, with fabric left over, and using fishing line we had. The can of Camp Dry should be laying around with the gear anyway. Hope that helps. (01/21/2010)

By LJF

Repairing Holes in Canvas Tent Trailer

Are the holes in the canvas or the screen? I have patched screen with stickers. A sticker on the inside or outside does the trick. Inside is best. It doesn't get as wet when it rains. If they don't want to stick put a little bit of Gorilla glue on the sticker and hold it in place for a few minutes. If you use the glue I would put another sticker on the outside because it looks kind of funny without an other sticker. On canvas, I imagine that stickers would work too. It looks kind of pretty with stickers on screens. (01/22/2010)

By sassier299

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
A truck towing a vintage popup camper.
Repairing a Popup Camper
Home and Garden Repair Sporting GoodsFebruary 19, 2017
close of hinge
Repairing Hinges on Pop Up Camper
Cleaning a Tent, Tent in wet conditions
Cleaning a Tent
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
Pop Up Camper
Replacement Canvas for a Pop Up Camper
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 7:23:08 PM on 10.0.2.220 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.