New Home With Bad Cat Odors

I just bought a house and the preveious owner had five cats, the smell is really bad. The odors are coming from everywhere. What can i do? If I use vinegar, how much would I use for the whole house and how would I mix it or is there something better to use?

Mack from Waterbury, CT

I had the same problem when I bought our home except it was dogs. My real estate lady gave me this tip.

Close up your house tight, fill a pan with straight vinegar and bring it to a boil on the stove, let it boil softly for 1/2 hour and then let it set for 2 hours. The vinegar smell will go away and your home will smell so much better.

Love & Prayers,

if nothing else works ... HSN sells a product called "urine off". They were just coming out with it when I left there 1 1/2 years ago. Check your local tv stations for the phone #. Good luck!

Hi. A friend of mine had a similar problem with a home she bought. One of the back bedrooms had an awful urine smell from the lady that lived there...I think she had problems getting to the bathroom at night. Anyway, she tried every kind of cleaner and freshener she could find and scrubbed and scrubbed. The last suggestion was that she paint the floor and voila, problem solved. Seemed to seal the smell inside. And no, she didn't somehow make the smell go to the basement (that was my first thought. :-) She put her new carpet down and has not had the smell anymore in 12 years. I'm sure that paint would work for walls and ceilings also. Those tile ceilings may be holding lots of smell in them. Hope this helps! PS. Shame on anyone that doesn't clean up after their kitties and allows this to happen. When people come into my home, they don't even know I have cats until they see them. That's how it should be.

Following on from the above new home with bad cat odour problems, I have the same thing but in the garden, everywhere has a cat smell and short of chaning all the soil and plants I do not know what to do. Any suggestions please are most welcome. Mavaureen - in the UK

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 30, 2005
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
cigarette smell computer
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odors from a Computer
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Girl with her has face painted like a black cat.
Making a Cat Costume