Resident Cat Aggressive Toward New Cat

Category Cats
Introducing a new cat into your home can be more complicated than you might think. Proper steps in the process generally result in a positive outcome. This is a guide about solutions for when your resident cat is aggressive toward a new cat.

I have a male tabby. He is 1.3 years old, and I've had him since he was 3 months old. Almost 2 months ago, I adopted a female cat. I believe she is approximately 2 years old. After being rescued from the street, she had to have surgery for a broken back leg. Although she limps a bit, and can't jump too high, she is OK now. They are both neutered.
My male, resident cat, cannot leave her alone! Whenever he sees her walking, eating, drinking water, or just lying around, he runs towards her, and bites her neck. She is now scared of him, so she quickly runs to hide under my bed where he cannot reach her. During the day, while I am at work, I keep her in my bedroom and he stays in my living room (I have a small apartment). I try playing with him, but he never seems to get tired, and he is easily distracted and abandons the games. I also tried spraying water on him when he attacks her, but he doesn't get scared, and he keeps at it.
I'm getting scared they might never get along and will have to give her back. Is there anything I can do? I don't think it is a matter of giving them time to get used to each other anymore.

By Maria

Answers

Best Answer

This could be your males prey drive, but as you say you play with the tom a lot to try to wear him out, I believe it may be false mating.

Sometimes a neutered male doesn't lose his drive for mating for some reason. This may be because it is an instinctual behavior (in the brain) rather than just a matter of having the right body parts.

When cats mate, the tom holds down the female by the neck. It can get aggressive.
Unfortunately, it is an extremely hard habit to break, as you have discovered. You may have to rehome the female.

Best Answer

You didn't mention whether your cats were neutered. If they are not, doing so will make a huge difference. Certainly get that done before you rehome your female cat. In the meantime you can try making pathways for your cats to get up high.

This gives them more territory and lowers the competition factor. Such as wall shelves that allow them to climb up the walls and roost on high pieces of furniture and find a safe place. You are right tho think that putting one cat away all day is not a good thing. Good luck to you and I hope things work out.

Today my husband and I brought home a new, adopted kitten. She is 8 weeks old. Our current cat, who is a year and a half old and grew up with other cats until he was just shy of a year old is very aggressive and is hissing at the kitten and my husband. Luckily, he isn't aggressive towards me so I've been staying in the bedroom with him, while my husband is in the living room with our kitten. Are there any tips to speed up a "slow introduction" for these cats, as I am in the process of job hunting, and my husband commutes from another city.

By Becca H.

Answers

Best Answer

I always make the kitten an extra room. It helps the kitten feel secure and it gives you time to take him around on a tour during the times you are home. I don't put the kitten down, I walk through the house like I was holding a baby and tell the kitten, this is Bruno, This is Banjo, my dogs. I have a cat that was used to being outside, a kitten, and she needed quite a while in the bathroom. I put in a litter box and small food bowl, and a small dish of water. This is her room until she feels more secure. This sometimes takes weeks. I will leave her in there anytime I do not have her out playing with her.

I also use the bathtub for baby kittens I am bottlefeeding, the bathroom is a perfect choice because it is easily cleanable.

Little by little, the animals will see each other in a non threatening way. It takes a little time. The main thing is to let the kitten know he is protected from the older cat who should never be punished for hissing alone, unless he charges the kitten.

I had one cat that turned out to be way too aggressive, and wild. I feel he was a hybrid of some type. I rehomed him, because he was in the habit of trying to scratch people's faces when you looked at him. I am sure you will find these cats will get along after a certain amount of time together. If you don't want to do this and use the bathroom as a kennel for the kitten, than you could keep them in seperate rooms or something. The thing that will happen a lot is that the older cat will stop the younger cat from eating.

Hissing is not really an aggressive act, it is an aggressive act if the older or the younger one chases another one through the house for no reason in a mad way. I always intervene here.

Also get lots of catnip and throw it around the house in different spots. The loose kind. You can go to drsfostersmith for that. Also I keep a small cat carrier in the bathroom for the kitten to go into. My latest one who is my daughter's kitten, has learned to open and close the bathroom door, so now it is obviously time for her to be out. There are hissing and wide eyes, and disgusted looks going on. She has tried to chase my older cat and I do not allow it. First I go and comfort my older cat and put him up and then I go and comfort the kitten. She is pregnant, so she is kind of overprotective. :)

I am sure this will all work out...do put pics on here if you can I would love to see your two babies~!

A few months ago I adopted a one year old female cat. She is a sweetheart, but is very paranoid by nature and prefers that you move slowly. She's taken to me a lot more than my boyfriend, who she doesn't like. She gets upset easily as well.

We rescued a stray cat that wouldn't leave our home. He's a very calm and loving male, about 8 years old. He doesn't seem to care that my other cat exists, though she cares. She will growl at him, hiss, and run away. They haven't fought yet, but she hates him. It's been a month now and things aren't changing no matter what we do. We've read countless numbers of articles online. Right now they are separated, as she was screaming at him last night when they were both under the bed. It sounded so mean and cruel, that I separated them in fear of a fight. He would clobber her with one swipe.

What do I do? I love them both, but I am starting to think that our girl cat just doesn't like other cats. We adopted her from a vet, who said she was separated from her sister. The other cats at the vet were able to roam, but my cat was kept in the break room (not sure why).

When do I draw the line that they aren't a match? How do I help her transition? I've tried everything! She gets so upset over small things. She pees by accident when she's upset or afraid.

What do I do?

Answers

Best Answer

My sister has 3 cats and two get along but not with the third cat. They just learn to stay away from each others space. Do not leave them alone together. If you have to go out, put them in separate rooms. Eventually they will learn to respect each others space.