Beans for Weight Control

This is more a weight control and health tip than a cooking tip. Although, I am almost 50, my weight is under control without obsession about food and exercising myself to death. I do walk but not to the extreme.

My tip is: add beans to your diet at least 2 times a day. I make up a large crock pot of red beans or black beans and this will carry me about 3 meals. I usually eat mine for breakfast and lunch and eat what everyone else is eating for dinner. I like to drain my beans when cooked and add two packages of taco seasoning instead of salt. 1/2 cup has about 140 calories and almost a daily supply of fiber.

The fiber intake is the key to weight control. My beans do not produce gas because I bring to a boil on the stove and cover for 20-30 minutes, drain that water off and cook as usual.

By notwrong

Man oh man, notwrong, how much do you eat at a meal if you make a LARGE crock pot of beans and it only lasts you 3 meals? You must east at least 2 huge soup bowls full at each meal!

I use a regular/small bag to one regular sized crock pot and it usually will take me about 3 days of meals (I obviously think faster than I type). I eat around 1 cup which does pretty much fill up my bowl and then sometimes I eat more according to how hungry I am. For the calories associated with a serving and the fiber and vitamines that the beans have it is not about the amount but about the feeling of fullness. I also notice that I don't crave sugars as much as when I get lazy and don't make up my beans. As the ACTIVIA lady says "give it a week" and you will notice a difference :) :)

I, too, am curious what your portions are at breakfast and lunch. Do you eat just a half cup for each meal? Also, when you bring the beans to a boil, do you continue cooking them for the 30 - 40 minutes that they are covered or do you turn the heat off? I find this an interesting idea that could be very helpful. Thank you for sharing this idea.

I'm sorry you must have posted about the same time as I was posting and did not see your question. I will usually bring my beans to a boil, cover the pot and turn off. I let this set for 30 min or so (sometimes a little more). I drain the liquid off then I put in the crock pot with fresh water. If someone that does not not eat beans regularlly or someone just starting will be eating the batch I'm cooking I might repeat te soaking one more time. Try the add ins of taco seasonings. Last night my husband had stir fry and I had my beans with brown rice and I added in the vegetables and not the meat. I only needed one serving because it was so filling. If you want a tad of heat add a few drops of liquid crab boil.

Thanx, NotWrong :) I think I'll give this a try. I live in the Netherlands (but from California) and I have never seen crab boil, doubt seriously that's it's available here. I was so proud of myself this week. I made my first batch of apple butter (crock pot) because I can't get that over here (which has nothing to do with what we're talking about...lol). Anyway, thank you so much for answering my question.

This sounds good to me, because I love beans(especially black beans). but I'm a little confused. are you talking about cooked canned beans? or buying a bag of uncooked beans and soaking and then cooking them on the stove? Did you say you eat about a cup for breakfast and lunch every day? and that crockpot will last you three days, or 6 meals?

Inexpensive Ways to Lose Weight, Scale being cinched in by a tape measure.
Inexpensive Ways to Lose Weight
Food and Recipes Food Tips DietingJune 11, 2009
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Freezing Green Beans
Scattering of dried pinto beans with red peppers and cilantro. Cooking Dried Beans
Freezing Pinto Beans
🎉
🎄