Using Weight Watchers

Category Dieting
There are a number of weight loss plans and programs available to help you lose weight. This is a guide about using Weight Watchers.

Do I have to stick to a special plan with Weight Watchers? Eat specially prepared foods, etc.

By Tonita P

Answers

I have been a member of Weight Watchers for over 3 years now and have lost about 75 pounds. I am getting pretty close to my goal weight. For me, it was the most helpful thing.

Points are determined by a calculation using the amount of fat, protein, fiber and carbs in the specific food. Foods that are high in sugar and fat have a higher point value. "Power Foods" such as low fat dairy or whole grains tend to have a lower value. All fresh fruit and most vegetables have a value of 0 points. The system calculates a daily point target based on your current weight and height. You are given weekly points to use as you like, for occasional treats or celebrations. You can also earn more points for activities such as walking, exercise classes, gardening, etc.

Although they have lots of prepackaged snacks and meals, you don't have to buy any of them. They are just there for convenience. They also have recipes and meal plans if you need help deciding what to eat. Members are supposed to weigh in at a weekly meeting. The meetings are great for encouragement and ideas.

Good luck in your weight loss journey. I've never felt healthier and I actually enjoy exercising now. Although it has been a long process for me, it has definitely been worth it.

You do not have to buy special "weight watcher" foods or any sort of supplements. There are recipe suggestions; ways to make things like chocolate cake worth less points, for example.

Has Weight Watchers ever had a restriction on one's weight before you could join the program? If so what was it?

By Irma from Chicago, IL

Answers

Why not call Weight Watchers and get the information you seek direct from Weight Watchers. I am sure you will find the phone number in the phone book.

It used to be you had to be at least 10 lbs overweight, but as far as how big you might be (like 500 lbs or something), I highly doubt it. Weight watchers has a website, look it up online and find a local chapter to contact. Good luck and here's to losing, me too!