Mother Duck Has Abandoned Her Nest

I noticed this morning that a mallard hen made a nest in my backyard. This afternoon I had a yard service put mulch down. When I got home the duck was gone and the eggs were covered with mulch. I uncovered them and I really hope she'll come back! Do you think she will return? How long will the eggs be OK without her setting on the nest?

By Monte from Overland Park, KS

Best Answer

I don't really know, but I suspect she's gone for good. That was a lot of disruption for her nest. I don't think the eggs will survive for very long without her heat.

We went out to eat last night, and they've put a little "river" through this shopping area. When we were leaving, I noticed a goose was sitting very intently behind a large rock/stone. I suspect she was sitting on a nest. Not a very good place to pick, considering how close it was to the parking lot & how busy the area is. We watched her for a little while, and I had to keep reminding my daughter not to try to get close, because I didn't want to scare Mama away. But I fear that others will not be so careful.

I think you'll just have to keep the area as quiet as possible, and watch & wait. Good luck!

Best Answer

She won't return. I once disturbed a duck, while she was sitting on her eggs and she never came back, once she knows you've seen the eggs, she won't come back.

I agree with Mrs. Story, I doubt she'll be back. In cases like this when we notice a nest, it's best to put off any yard work close to the nest and just leave it undisturbed. Maybe next year, she'll come back and you'll have a chance to protect her and see the little ones hatch :-)

You could try to find out how to incubate the eggs yourself or contact a wildlife carer or vet

I agree, please contact your local fish and wildlife office, they may have some ideas. Good luck

You shouldn`t ever touch a birds egg then she Probible won`t come back

A duckling being hatched.
Caring for Duck Eggs
Better Living Green Living WildlifeMarch 24, 2011
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Donald and Daisy Duck Costume
Duck eggs in a nest.
Moving Duck Eggs
Six duck eggs in a nest
Abandoned Duck Nest
Duck in nest with eggs
Incubation Time for Duck Eggs
🎄