Frugal Embellishments for Scrapbooking

I scrapbook all the time and I use them as gifts for family and friends. This is a hobby that can be very expensive, after you purchase paper and embellishments. I decided to save money on supplies I started cutting out objects and lettering from catalogs that we receive in the mail. I found all kinds of terrific sayings in beautiful lettering; lots and lots of designs to use as embellishments and even use some as bordering and framing. I have found school supply catalogs to contain lots of variety of different objects.

As you know embellishments can run between 99 cents to $4 or more in some shops. All I do is cut them from catalog and then crop them further to give them professional look and then glue them on. This has cut my scrapbooking expenses more than half.

By Connie from Sitka, KY

Keep your eye open at garage sales for any greeting cards and wall paper.

I found some junked wall paper sample catalogs. I now have more supplies than I have room for!

Awesome and beautiful resource.

Wonder if the store would have just given them to me, and how many I have missed out on?

Be careful because most of that stuff won't be acid free and may ruin your pictures.

If you are careful not to embellish the photo's with your finds you should be fine. Remember to use acid free paper to mat your photos and use acid free paper for your page.

Other sources to find treasures are junk jewlry, broken watches,bottle caps, paper clips, staples, scrap fabric, twigs, buttons off of throw away clothing,etc. Have fun :)

I'd advise getting one of the pens you use to check the acidity of paper before putting it in any scrapbook you want to keep longterm. You just put a mark on the back of the paper and if it turns a certain color, don't use the paper. It's available most places like Michael's and JoAnn's and scrapbooking stores.

I too like to recycle pictures from books and magazines as well as cards and other found objects. However, before putting anything on my pages I like to spray them with an archival mist that deacidifies the papers or objects.

A great tip but be sure to treat the "free" lettering and artwork to be archival safe or you may find your "free" stuff has cost you your memories.

You don' t need to be sure it's archival safe. Just spray it with Make it Acid Free by Krylon. Granted, you have to buy the can but then anything is game if you have it.

Scrapbooking papers, embellishments, and scissors.
Saving Money on Scrapbooking
Crafts Paper ScrapbookingJanuary 23, 2009
Sweater Covered Hanger
Making Covered Hangers
Orange kitten photos scrapbooked on a page
Scrapbooking Craft Ideas
Various scrapbook supplies.
Scrapbooking Recipes
Evergreen garland with berries and glass Christmas ornaments.
Making an Evergreen Garland