Scrapbooking Craft Ideas

Category Scrapbooking
Orange kitten photos scrapbooked on a page
Over the years scrapbooking has come into its own as a very creative crafting hobby. This is a guide about scrapbooking craft ideas.

Here is a scrapbook page I created about my son's misdeed. My son was really into scissors. He'd cut his clothes, pants pockets, and he cut his sister's hair. He didn't understand why we were so upset and he just kept repeating, "But I only cut ONE side!"

I used scissor shaped brads to attach the title. I created a jagged cut silver (mirror) photo mat, I used bobby pins for photo corners and fibers to resemble hair.

I made this inexpensive Christmas gift for my mother-in-law. I'd made two of my older children years ago and she specifically requested one of my youngest this year. It was very well received :)

To make the scrapbook "page", I printed several pictures of my son (he pointed out they're all of his "disguises" - lol!), matted them, and taped them to a cute piece of 12x12 inch background paper with a complementary paper on top. The total cost was under $2.00.

I then purchased a simple unfinished wooden frame at the craft store ($6.00 with coupon) and painted it using acrylic paint. After painting a background color, I created little cars to go with the background paper. I'm not a great artist, but luckily kids crafts are very forgiving. You could use a regular frame or use stencils for the design, if you prefer. The entire project took me one evening with time to dry between paint colors.

By Stephanie from Hillsboro, OR

"A scrapbook-in-a-box is mini-scrapbook that folds into a box to house your photo memories." This is surprisingly simple to make. I made it in a couple of hours time.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

This is the website I got the instructions from.

By Christi from Paducah, KY

Use children's art work as a basis for a scrapbook with headings, other related pictures, etc.

By Cher from Oxford, ME

Have photos of odd items or backgrounds? They don't have to sit in your photo storage any longer! They make great backdrops for pictures or items in scrapbooking.

Take a photo of, say, a bunch of trees with no real subject (or even a subject you don't really care for anymore, great to do with those odd pictures kids take) and blow it up a little bigger than the subject matter you want to place on top. Then just mount with acid free tape, squares, or corner mounts, what ever you want to be on top. Turns out very pretty and can make a scrapbook page even more personal.

I just started "scrapbooking" and have found you can make picture frames with old colorful clothing. I also used it to do the cover of my scrapbook. It looks professional and great.

Kelli Mahoney0 found this helpful

Scrapbooking can be fun, but when you have all that stuff from a wedding, it can get overwhelming. However, that "stuff" can make for more interesting pages.

A wedding scrapbook with the wedding program and some photos.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Take lots of pictures using several different angles. You never know which ones will be perfect and which ones will have their eyes closed.

This is a guide about creating aged or distressed scrapbook pages. Use these techniques to make your scrapbook pages look antique.

examples of the three aging methods

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When scrapbooking, use your creativity. In this example, I cut the photo I was referring to in my journaling into several long strips.

Photo cut into strips.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Calendar/Planner gift idea: Scrapbooking isn't just for photo albums. Remove planner from plastic cover. Open plastic cover and lay flat on cardboard Trace around cover and cut it out with straight edge scissors (this is your template).

Front and rear views of personalized planners.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Any good scrapbooking ideas? I have a ton of OLD pictures to go through and don't know where to start. Help.

Alice from Centerville, OH

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try picaboo.com for digital scrap booking.

Here's an article I wrote for "DotComWomen" website that I thought might be helpful to you...

Getting Started On Your Frugal Scrapbook

Photos:

Go through your photos your old photo albums, shoe boxes, or from your digital pictures stored on your PC.

Separate your photos into smaller categories such as year, special events, individual children, holidays, vacations, birthdays, etc.

Pick your best photos. If you like, choose a theme. Choose 4 to 8 of the best shots.

Choosing a focal point. From the 4-8 best photos, pick your absolute favorite as a focal photo.

Arrange the photos on a page. Don't make everything symmetrical. It's okay to tilt the photos and overlap a little. This adds interest to the page

Layout:

Choose a theme for your pages, such as birthday, season, wedding etc...

Its best to start with a solid background, then build on top of that.

Choose a color scheme of 2-3 prominent colors from the focal photo to use as a color scheme for your layout.

Choose a coordinating (I like to call) back-drop for your picture(s). Use the decorative scissors to trim the sides if the back-drop.

Embelish:

Heres the fun part.

Decorate your page with stickers, or those cool caption stickers.

Die cuts. You can also make your own die cuts out of cardstock scrap.

Ribbons, old jewelry can even be used.

Old invitations. Party decorations.

Use old scraps of cardstock and put on all 4 corners of the page.

One thick piece of cardstock which is a 3 inches wide the length of your page, and position on the either side of the page.

Or, take a piece of cardstock that is about 3 inches wide and the width of your page and position at the top or the bottom of your page.

Use these areas for your journal.

Make a pocket page and store love notes or old movie stubbs.

Fix it to the Page:

Once you have everything in place just the way you like it, you can use a hot glue gun or acid-free stick glue, but dont glue it until you're happy with the layout.

Journalize:

Tell a story about the people in the photos. Where they were, be sure to include dates.

Use cardstock or color coordinating paper to write your story then place close by the photo, or on a designated page of its own.

All Rights Reserved © by Karen Armacost and 'Dot Com Women. Please do not reprint in whole or in part without express permission. For permission to reprint, please contact me at admin@dotcomwomen.com

Step one is the most important: caption them with identity and place and time, close as you know or can find out.

After that there are two methods, group them by chronology or by occasion. In other words, Tommy's birthday photos can be a page all their own, and you can ornament the page with birthday stuff, however much or little.

Get the pictures into pages quickly, then go back and decorate as much as you want.

Keep shooting pictures, and plop them onto pages as you go, captioned very well. Your successors, kids who come along after you, can always dress up your pages more, but if you don't have that information, the pictures are lost. My favorite scrapbook has good captioning and storytelling, but no artsy purchased stuff after that.

Scrapbooking as we do it today was invented to transmit the family' spiritual heritage, did you know that? Each person can tell what God has done through their lives, however they wish to tell it, in the scrapbook. I know my grandparents were overcomers because my aunt transmitted that for me. God bless you.

I am in the beginning stage - collecting things for scrapbook. However I am not very artistic. My purpose is to preserve the history of my family. Instead of making a scrapbook OF my grandkids, I am making one FOR my grandkids. They will be in it, but most of it will be photos, newspaper clippings (copied to last longer),etc of their grandparents, great-grandparents,etc. And notes about the history of our families as far back as I can go. My hobby is genealogy. Scrapbooking is, I hope, a great way of displaying what I have found and saving it for future generations.

I am an avid scrapbooker but always checking out new ideas and tips. Being on a budget I love to try new things and embellishments. I will be attending a formal banquet this Valentines weekend as well as celebrating my 24th wedding anniversary and am looking for some great layout ideas. I would love to exchange ideas and tips with fellow scrappers as well. If anyone is interested in scrapbooking please let me know. We often set up scrapping events and crops and would love to have new faces join us.

Barb from BG, Kentucky

I live in Prospect KY (Louisville area) and am also an avid scrapbooker looking for new ideas

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Take close up pictures of your puppy, kitten, or child when they are babies. Take the same posed pictures when they turn 1 year or older. Then make a scrapbook page to compare how much they grew.

By bordermix from Commerce Twp, MI

Comment Like this photo? 5

Pre-made Scrapbook
Pre-made Scrapbook

The perfect homemade gift idea! Pop in your favorite movie and have fun making this craft! Whoever you give it to will appreciate the time you put into it and the uniqueness of the gift. This will make it easy for them to showcase the holiday photos that tend to get tucked away and never looked at again.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours

Instructions:

Purchase or use materials you already have in your scrapbooking collection.

Create pages for scrapbook, leaving out photos (the recipient of the gift will add them!).

Use magazines, books, or the Internet for layout ideas.

Voila! Easy as pie!

By Ci Ci from Yakima, WA

Answers:

Craft Project: Pre-made Scrapbook

I really like this idea I think it's a great idea to give people with kids. I know it's always hard to find time to do all the little things we want to do and making scrape books for the kids or babies is one on the top of most mom's list.

Thanks for the helpful tip.

Happy Holidays!

Laura (12/20/2008)

By Laura in New Orleans, LA

Craft Project: Pre-made Scrapbook

I did this for a friend for her wedding and it was amazing, one of the nicest things I have ever done. And I had so much fun doing it. Although it was expensive since I didn't own much scrapbooking supplies at the time. But I helped a friend with another one after that and once I had the supplies, it all went a long way and the second one cost only a few dollars.
(11/29/2009)

By sparkleaholic

Your Child's 1st Holidays Scrapbooking Layouts and Projects

Materials:

Directions:

Place pictures in the order they happened. Cut the picture into a shape that would represent that holiday. For example, use a pine tree for Christmas, and egg for Easter, etc. Stick to page so not to cover anything important. Leave some room to write info.

Below is a picture to see what I did.

By LRP from LOWELL, MASS