Scrapbooking Ideas For Old Photos

Any good scrapbooking ideas? I have a ton of OLD pictures to go through and don't know where to start. Help.

Alice from Centerville, OH

Try picaboo.com for digital scrap booking.

Here's an article I wrote for "DotComWomen" website that I thought might be helpful to you...

Getting Started On Your Frugal Scrapbook

Photos:

Go through your photos your old photo albums, shoe boxes, or from your digital pictures stored on your PC.

Separate your photos into smaller categories such as year, special events, individual children, holidays, vacations, birthdays, etc.

Pick your best photos. If you like, choose a theme. Choose 4 to 8 of the best shots.

Choosing a focal point. From the 4-8 best photos, pick your absolute favorite as a focal photo.

Arrange the photos on a page. Don't make everything symmetrical. It's okay to tilt the photos and overlap a little. This adds interest to the page

Layout:

Choose a theme for your pages, such as birthday, season, wedding etc...

Its best to start with a solid background, then build on top of that.

Choose a color scheme of 2-3 prominent colors from the focal photo to use as a color scheme for your layout.

Choose a coordinating (I like to call) back-drop for your picture(s). Use the decorative scissors to trim the sides if the back-drop.

Embelish:

Heres the fun part.

Decorate your page with stickers, or those cool caption stickers.

Die cuts. You can also make your own die cuts out of cardstock scrap.

Ribbons, old jewelry can even be used.

Old invitations. Party decorations.

Use old scraps of cardstock and put on all 4 corners of the page.

One thick piece of cardstock which is a 3 inches wide the length of your page, and position on the either side of the page.

Or, take a piece of cardstock that is about 3 inches wide and the width of your page and position at the top or the bottom of your page.

Use these areas for your journal.

Make a pocket page and store love notes or old movie stubbs.

Fix it to the Page:

Once you have everything in place just the way you like it, you can use a hot glue gun or acid-free stick glue, but dont glue it until you're happy with the layout.

Journalize:

Tell a story about the people in the photos. Where they were, be sure to include dates.

Use cardstock or color coordinating paper to write your story then place close by the photo, or on a designated page of its own.

All Rights Reserved © by Karen Armacost and 'Dot Com Women. Please do not reprint in whole or in part without express permission. For permission to reprint, please contact me at admin@dotcomwomen.com

Step one is the most important: caption them with identity and place and time, close as you know or can find out.

After that there are two methods, group them by chronology or by occasion. In other words, Tommy's birthday photos can be a page all their own, and you can ornament the page with birthday stuff, however much or little.

Get the pictures into pages quickly, then go back and decorate as much as you want.

Keep shooting pictures, and plop them onto pages as you go, captioned very well. Your successors, kids who come along after you, can always dress up your pages more, but if you don't have that information, the pictures are lost. My favorite scrapbook has good captioning and storytelling, but no artsy purchased stuff after that.

Scrapbooking as we do it today was invented to transmit the family' spiritual heritage, did you know that? Each person can tell what God has done through their lives, however they wish to tell it, in the scrapbook. I know my grandparents were overcomers because my aunt transmitted that for me. God bless you.

I am in the beginning stage - collecting things for scrapbook. However I am not very artistic. My purpose is to preserve the history of my family. Instead of making a scrapbook OF my grandkids, I am making one FOR my grandkids. They will be in it, but most of it will be photos, newspaper clippings (copied to last longer),etc of their grandparents, great-grandparents,etc. And notes about the history of our families as far back as I can go. My hobby is genealogy. Scrapbooking is, I hope, a great way of displaying what I have found and saving it for future generations.