Removing Nail Polish from Clothing and Fabric

Nail polish can be difficult to remove from textiles, especially if it has already dried. This guide is about removing nail polish from clothing and fabric.

May 30, 2015 Flag

Earlier today I stupidly applied glitter polish on my toenails right before I started my yoga class and apparently one of my nails hadn't fully dried yet and stained the back of my new workout leggings! I came here to try and find a solution and unfortunately we don't have any oven cleaner or acetone-free nail polish remover in the house at the moment, so my husband made a mixture of dishwashing liquid and white vinegar and applied it with a cotton bud to the stain. After a couple of minutes of gentle rubbing I rinsed it and it had lessened significantly! He continued applying and after the second rinsing there's almost nothing left. A few of the glitter grains even came off while I was rinsing. Hope it works for you!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 10, 2015 Flag

How do I get dried nail polish off my 98%cotton 2% spandex jeans? They are my favorite pair of ripped jeans and I tried the hairspray method, nail polish remover method, and I am currently going to try the Windex method. Is there a better way to get it out? I haven't washed or dried them yet in the laundry. Please help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ask a question. I'm not uploading a picture that you already have access to right now

April 15, 2008 Flag

When people recommend Off for nail polish removal, are they recommending Off the oven cleaner, or Off the bug spray? Thanks! This is for polish on a brand new cotton dress (fabric is on the thin side).

A.B. from San Rafael, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I just spilled some yellow glitter nail polish while cleaning the nail salon on Monday. I spent 3.49 at the dry cleaners and they didn't do a good job so I tried the "Easy off" oven cleaner then scrubbed it then washed them as usual and the stain is gone. Oven cleaner does wonders :)

January 29, 2012 Flag

How do I remove dried nail polish from a comforter? It is 100% cotton.

By Shirley

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would think just nail polish remover would work...

January 13, 2011 Flag

I had a drop of nail polish get on a pair of khaki pants and tried nail polish remover to get it out and it didn't work. Then I tired soap and water and that didn't get it out. How can I get the polish out even after the polish has dried on the pants?

By Pumpkin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am able to get paint out of my clothing by using a small scrubber paint brush. A small one, by dipping it in paint remover. Kut-zit or any paint stripper and letting a drop sit for 1 min. then scrubbing it off with the brush. Sometimes it comes off with one try and sometimes it takes a few tries by wiping it off with cloth and repeating it, then wash garment. Hope this helps.

October 29, 2015 Flag

How do you remove a green nail polish from a futon with a blended cotton/polyester material cover. It blotted on, I tried to remove it with regular nail polish removal. I flipped the mattress over for now, but need to do something quick.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 15, 2015 Flag

How do I get nail polish off my grandson's polyester comfort blanket? I have tried nail polish remover, but it did not work. Can anybody give me somthing that will work?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 2, 2011 Flag

How can I remove a small nail varnish stain from a T shirt?

By Chris from Heathfield, UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may be able to remove it with nail polish remover, but try this on a hidden spot first. I don't think it will hurt a tee shirt, but I made a bad situation worse when I used it on a polyester dress, made a much bigger spot.

March 9, 2015 Flag

I have a beautiful long black coat that has a 100% polyester exterior and I spilt clear nail varnish down the front. It is Sally Hanson triple strong strengthener to be exact and I can't get it out. I've tried using remover, but it just won't work. Does anyone know of anyway I can remove it? It's my favourite coat and I'm devastated over it!

By Kyrsty T

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 7, 2015 Flag

How do I remove nail polish from a pair of 68% rayon, 30% polyester, and 2% spandex dress pants? Please help. Thank you.

By Joanne

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 24, 2010 Flag

How do you remove nail polish from nylon clothes?

By Theresa from Athens, AL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The archived answer from Cyinda is very thorough. However, I would like to add a note of caution. She has told you that nail polish remover will melt a hole in some fabrics, and I had that experience. I had some on a "suede" dress, and the acetone took the fuzzy finish right off. It was much worse than the actual stain. Luckily, a gal in a dress shop had the idea to bring the belt around the front and fasten with a nice broach, which worked really well. Anyway, be sure to test the nail polish remover on the fabric in a hidden spot to see if it will damage the fabric.

October 17, 2014 Flag

How do you remove nail polish from a white acrylic sweater?

By Halley

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 10, 2014 Flag

how do I get gold nail polish out of a white dress?

By lilac

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 9, 2010 Flag

My 3 year old daughter got into a purple bottle of nail polish. I would like to know what is the best way to remove it from my bed comforter.

By Catina from Johnson City, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Another person just asked a similar question but her fabric is white. Here's what I suggested to her but you might want to do a test on an inconspicuous portion of the comforter before trying unless your comforter also happens to be white:

"Have you tried soaking the portion that is stained in nail polish remover and then briskly rub the fabric together? I would try non-acetone polish remover first and be sure to wash the pillowcase afterward. ;-) Let us know if this works or not, okay?"

August 13, 2014 Flag

I spilled some glitter nail polish on a black top and I just can't get it off. A website said that it helps with nail polish remover, but it doesn't even work to get it off the nails!
Do you have any ideas how to get this off really quick?
I don't actually have much time, I'm planning to wear it on Saturday, so I need help ASAP!

By Marie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 7, 2009 Flag

How do you remove nail polish from a sweater?

By Twilighter444 from Houston, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Be very careful with nail polish remover. I had a spot of nail polish on a polyester suede dress. The polish remover removed the suede as well as the polish-- so I was worse off than when I started.

August 23, 2013 Flag

I spilled nail polish on my bedding. I have tried everything to get it off. Does anyone have any suggestions?

By Kallista

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 5, 2013 Flag

Unfortunately all of my children's coats were washed and dried along with pink nail polish. Is there something I can put in the wash to quickly get the polish out of all the coats?

By Beezus

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 5, 2013 Flag

Unfortunately all of my children's coats were washed and dried :( along with pink nail polish. Is there something I can put in the wash to quickly get the polish out of all the coats?

By BMJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 4, 2011 Flag

How do I remove red nail polish on a cotton dress?

By Aida

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 23, 2010 Flag

How do I get nail polish off a sweatshirt?

By Denise from Coon Rapids, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 25, 2009 Flag

How do I remove nail polish from clothing after it has been washed?

By CFL013 from Summerville, SC

Answers:

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

Mix: alcohol green soap and tea tree oil together in the right combination, and it will take it off with no damage to the clothes. There is a company that sells this item. (06/14/2009)

By DragonSlaveII

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

Goof off, works very well. My two years old daughter spilled a nail polish on a Snow White dress, (that was a moment). Goof off works great plus some elbow grease(you have to rub it a little) Do not forget to put some gloves on, this chemical has very strong smell and somewhat toxic, however it doesn't ruin the fabric.
Good luck (07/21/2009)

By sofico76

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 1 Comment

November 23, 2010 Flag

I spilled nail polish on a pair of pants (87% Nylon, 13% Elastine). What can I use to remove it without ruining the pants?

By Janine from Moranbah, QLD, Australia

Answers:

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

I splurged for the sweetest white cotton dress with purple flowers for my toddler. She found bright blue nail polish (neon colored) and "went to town." It was all over the new dress! $36 dollars gone and she'd only worn it once. I scrambled to find hairspray and bug spray after nail polish remover failed. I couldn't find any hairspray.

Instead, I used Krud Kutter (Target), which I use to get out food stains on carpet. I sprayed it on and watched the nail polish bleed onto the rest of the fabric. I waited a few minutes and sprayed a little more. After about ten minutes and a small amount of scrubbing with the back of my nail, all the nail polish vanished and her dress was like new. Krud Kutter is amazing. (04/01/2010)

By krudkutter

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

Thank you all. It was all great feedback and I will be certain to give it a try. The bug spray seems to be the popular one for my particular garment. Great site, keep it up! (04/02/2010)

By janine.k.bennett

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

OK, so cheer camp is coming up and our squad has to wear the same thing. I ordered hot pink Nike shorts like our coach asked. I wore them around the house and was messing around with nail polish. I got some on the shorts. :( I did not tell my mom because I knew she would get mad.

So first, I used nail polish remover to try and get it out. It removed the outside layer, but not the entire stain. Then I used some hairspray and a toothbrush to try and get it off, nothing. So then I used Spray-n-Wash and put them in the washer. Some time later I take them out and the stain is still there. :O Desperate, I use Off! bug spray, Matisse hair spray, and Tea Tree oil. I combine them on the shorts and rub it in with a toothbrush. I was so happy when the stain was gone and my mom didn't find out! Hope this helps!;) (05/28/2010)

By t-nail19

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

Bug spray worked for me! Wow, I just have to say that there truly is a way to remove deep pink nail polish that has dried for 24 hours on a light, colored brand new swim suit. (My 5 year-old hid the swim suit after having an "accident", she confessed the next day.) I tried many of the things I read on here. (Nail polish remover, hair spray, tea tree oil, Goof Off, Oxi-Clean).

The hair spray seemed to do the most to remove the nail polish, but still left a deep colored stain. I finally decided that was the best it was going to get and took it into the laundry room to toss in the wash. I noticed a can of Repel insect repellent on the shelf and remembered reading that bug spray also worked sometimes.

I sprayed it on the stains and blotted it with a cloth, and I kid you not, the stain completely disappeared after about the third time. Unbelievable! That is the first time I have ever had success removing nail polish. I now know there really is a way to do it! Just keep trying different things, and don't give up. (06/26/2010)

By Glorybound333

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

I used a bar of Don Massimo. It takes out the stain but in the process weakens the fibers of the cloth (as it is an abrasive). (07/15/2010)

By nancyillman

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

Off insect repellent works really well. My daughter spilled hot pink nail polish on her white comforter and Off alone took it right out, I was shocked! (08/10/2010)

By bromanlex

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 26, 2010 Flag

Have you ever had a bad nail polish stain? Well, I got a very bad one on my brand new shirt. I was very mad! So I called my aunt and she didn't know what to do, but suggested that I spray hairspray on it and rub it with my nail. So that's what I did, and it came out. It was 100% cotton and it didn't ruin the fabric. So I would just spray on some hairspray to get it out. If you're looking for a brand, it was Aussie.

Source: My Aunt

By packrat from Kirksville, MO

Answers:

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

I just used Goo-Gone Extreme Remover and it worked very well; nail polish remover, hair spray, bug spray, and goo-off didn't do a thing to my sweater. (09/28/2009)

By flvia122

Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

Well, I just painted my nails in red and found out that 3 hours later I had wiped my finger on my brand new 100% cotton t-shirt that I was wearing. I felt so bad, as it cost a bit. So, after using acetone nail polish remover which I had no luck with instead just finding that it was spreading it even more, I then used a stain remover called preen which started to get a little bit of it off. I then phoned my grandma who said to try hairspray and then insect repellent and rub which I did and repeated 4 time and the stain came right out. So my day could continue. :-) (01/20/2010)

By lozenja01

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 11, 2009 Flag

I'm an Activity Director at a nursing home. I was painting finger nails and one of the polish bottles broke. I have it on my white pants and a dark purple top. How do I get this out?

By debi1657 from Delmar, IA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 4, 2009 Flag

My brother just washed and dried all my children's laundry with nail polish. It is all over everything. How can I quickly get this out? Is there something I can pour into the washer?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 25, 2009 Flag

I recently got red nail polish on white linen shorts. Panicking I used acetone nail polish remover, which didn't work along with (this was dad's suggestion) paint thinner, with no avail before crying for about 20 min over my favorite and nicest article of clothing.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsMarch 24, 2013
Nail Polish Drying Tips
Nail Polish Drying Tips and Tricks
Nail Polish Remover Stain on Leather
Fixing Nail Polish Remover Stains on Leather
Nail Polish Spill
Removing Nail Polish from Carpet
Two girls putting on nail polish on a couch.
Removing Nail Polish Stains From a Couch
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 2:31:16 PM on 10.0.0.234 in 23 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.