Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Nail Polish from Clothing and Fabric

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A nail polish brush dripping.

Nail polish can be difficult to remove from textiles, especially if it has already dried. This guide is about removing nail polish from clothing and fabric.

Here are questions related to Removing Nail Polish from Clothing and Fabric.

Question: Using OFF To Remove Nail Polish From Fabric

When people recommend Off for nail polish removal, are they recommending Off the oven cleaner, or Off the bug spray? Thanks! This is for polish on a brand new cotton dress (fabric is on the thin side).

A.B. from San Rafael, CA

Most Recent Answer

By Jean (Guest Post)08/27/2008

I tried OFF on my bathrobe where the nail polish splattered, used a toothbrush to scrub it a little and it did come off. I did notice a little "pink" color where the nail polish was but just through it in the washer and it looks like new!!

Question: Removing Nail Polish from Bedding

I spilled nail polish on my bedding. I have tried everything to get it off. Does anyone have any suggestions?

By Kallista

Question: Removing Nail Polish off Coats Dried in Dryer

Unfortunately all of my children's coats were washed and dried along with pink nail polish. Is there something I can put in the wash to quickly get the polish out of all the coats?

By Beezus

Question: Removing Nail Polish from Fabric

How do I remove dried nail polish from a comforter? It is 100% cotton.

By Shirley

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]01/31/2012

Scrape as much of the dried polish as you can off using your fingernail or the edge of a credit card.

Then use non-acetate fingernail polish remover to get the colour (if any, not all nail polish stains when colouring your nails or anything else) out of the fabric. Non-acetate remover won't eat the cotton fibers.

If you do have some colour staining from the polish after you've used the remover, about the only thing left to do is either leave the mark as a memory (for example if a child or grandchild was playing dress up for the first time), or cover it with either embroidery or a patch of fabric applied as an applique.

Question: Removing Nail Polish from Clothing

I had a drop of nail polish get on a pair of khaki pants and tried nail polish remover to get it out and it didn't work. Then I tired soap and water and that didn't get it out. How can I get the polish out even after the polish has dried on the pants?

By Pumpkin

Most Recent Answer

By Vi Martin [4]12/18/2011

"Awesome can be bought at Family Dollar Stores. It is in the cleaner department.

Question: Nail Polish Stains on Clothing

How do I get nail polish off a sweatshirt?

By Denise from Coon Rapids, MN

Question: Removing Nail Polish From Nylon

How do you remove nail polish from nylon clothes?

By Theresa from Athens, AL

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.04/27/2010

The archived answer from Cyinda is very thorough. However, I would like to add a note of caution. She has told you that nail polish remover will melt a hole in some fabrics, and I had that experience. I had some on a "suede" dress, and the acetone took the fuzzy finish right off. It was much worse than the actual stain. Luckily, a gal in a dress shop had the idea to bring the belt around the front and fasten with a nice broach, which worked really well. Anyway, be sure to test the nail polish remover on the fabric in a hidden spot to see if it will damage the fabric.

Question: Removing Nail Polish From Comforter

My 3 year old daughter got into a purple bottle of nail polish. I would like to know what is the best way to remove it from my bed comforter.

By Catina from Johnson City, NY

Most Recent Answer

By Anonymous03/12/2010

Another person just asked a similar question but her fabric is white. Here's what I suggested to her but you might want to do a test on an inconspicuous portion of the comforter before trying unless your comforter also happens to be white:

"Have you tried soaking the portion that is stained in nail polish remover and then briskly rub the fabric together? I would try non-acetone polish remover first and be sure to wash the pillowcase afterward. ;-) Let us know if this works or not, okay?"

Question: Removing Nail Polish From a Sweater

How do you remove nail polish from a sweater?

By Twilighter444 from Houston, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B.04/17/2009

Be very careful with nail polish remover. I had a spot of nail polish on a polyester suede dress. The polish remover removed the suede as well as the polish-- so I was worse off than when I started.

Solutions: Removing Nail Polish from Clothing and Fabric

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!