Removing Nail Polish From Synthetic Fabrics

How do I get nail varnish out of a nylon tee shirt?

Julie

Answers:

Removing Nail Polish From Nylon

Do you mean "nail polish"? If so, the only thing that will remove nail polish is nail polish remover. There are basically 2 formulas sold, the regular old fashioned type which is made from acetone and the newer formula that's made for artificial nails.

The type made for the artificial nails is milder so it won't melt the artificial nails so this is the type I'd recommend you try on the inside hem of the fabric (where you can't see it). The old fashioned type that's made from acetone will melt acetate (a type of slinky and shiny fabric).

If your fabric was cotton or another "natural" fiber, then I'd recommend the acetone type of nail polish remover as it's stronger. You had better check that label again for fabric content and be sure the shirt is really made from nylon and not acetate which can look similar.

There is one more option. Most fabric stores have a small rack of "Wonderful" stain removers. This brand has 5 or 6 different formulas. Each formula is made to remove a different type of stain. You may want to call several fabric stores and ask them if they carry an assortment of stain removers and if so do they have one that will remove nail varnish.

If all else fails, you can always do some embroidery over the stain or glue on some fancy rhinestones and beads. (07/22/2008)

By Cyinda

6 Questions

How do you remove nail polish from nylon clothes?

By Theresa Compton from Athens, AL

Answers

Best Answer

The archived answer from Cyinda is very thorough. However, I would like to add a note of caution. She has told you that nail polish remover will melt a hole in some fabrics, and I had that experience. I had some on a "suede" dress, and the acetone took the fuzzy finish right off. It was much worse than the actual stain. Luckily, a gal in a dress shop had the idea to bring the belt around the front and fasten with a nice broach, which worked really well. Anyway, be sure to test the nail polish remover on the fabric in a hidden spot to see if it will damage the fabric.

Answer this Question

I have a beautiful long black coat that has a 100% polyester exterior and I spilt clear nail varnish down the front. It is Sally Hanson triple strong strengthener to be exact and I can't get it out. I've tried using remover, but it just won't work. Does anyone know of anyway I can remove it? It's my favourite coat and I'm devastated over it!

By Kyrsty T

Answers

If the polish remover didn't do it, I don't know what would. You may try taking it to a dry cleaner.

Try hairspray or pure acetone

Anonymous

It worked fast!

Answer this Question

How do I remove nail polish from a pair of 68% rayon, 30% polyester, and 2% spandex dress pants? Please help. Thank you.

By Joanne

Answers

You can try dabbing pure acetone on the fabric with a cotton ball

Answer this Question

Will acetone ruin synthetics?

By KeKeLee

Answer this Question

More Archives

I spilled nail polish on a pair of pants (87% Nylon, 13% Elastine). What can I use to remove it without ruining the pants?

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJanuary 25, 2017
👒
🌻
🐰
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf45955602.tip.html