Ideas for 80th Birthday

There are many ways you can help make a friend or parent's 80th birthday fun and memorable. This is a guide about ideas for 80th birthday.

80th Birthday
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 8, 2010 Flag

I need inexpensive ideas for dad's 80th birthday party. I am doing this alone so I need to watch how much money is spent.

By Laurie from Wintersville, OH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get a folding foam core screen and cover with decorative paper, wrapping or wall paper. Find about 20-25 photos of the birthday person with family over the years, baby to adult if possible. Enlarge and crop them for 4"x 6" photos and mount with captions. Print out large Title such as "who's celebrating 80 years?" At the bottom put name, parents name and address if you know what it was then. You could use this for an invitation idea too.

http://www.vistaprint.com Vista printing has 10/$3.99 and you can design them anyway you choose. Good luck!

If you spend nothing more, have a friend video tape it. THis is something for him to watch over and over, and the rest of the family, once he is gone.

You can ask friends to help make it a potluck, each bringing a small dish to share, you can make a cake or do small portion cup cakes. At this age, frosting is not the first on the wish I had list! Maybe a jelly roll, or ask your dad what he would like for dessert. Maybe an ice cream cake. Which you can make as well without must ado.

I ahve done parties of all kinds for all ages, simple is always the best.

You have a computer! Fill areas with "80 years ago today" type stuff. Easy to find and print out, above the food serving 80 years ago the top menu items were...

Above the entertainment (tv/music) area; We were entertained by...

Around the patio; our favorite past-time was...

In various other areas add "80 years ago we paid "_" for...

Our main transportation was...

Etc., you get the idea.

And don't forget to add the most important part above the birthday cake: "and most important, 80 years ago "John Doe" was born!

Ask friends and family for ideas and maybe even pics and mementos!

Thank you all so very much. You all have very god ideas. If any of you can think of some games that could be played, that wold be wonderful! I don't really want to do any over the hill. If her were tuning 50 I would say ok, but no over the hill themes at 80, don't want to depress him.

Read More Answers...

April 20, 2015 Flag

Any ideas regarding themes, music, food, and decorations? Not much in decorations. I am not thinking about telegrams or weird stuff at which he could be embarrassed.

By Beth M

Why not make a nice medley of some of his favorite music and get someone to help you make a nice video (or photo collage) of some of your favorite family photo's from your albums to play at his party or for him? I did this for my father for his 90th birthday and he (and we ALL) loved seeing the family photo's while his favorite songs played! Sort of a 'this is your life'. One of the best idea's I had!

February 19, 2009 Flag

I am having an 80th birthday party for my mom. I need an idea for party favors that the guests could have as a remembrance of the event. I need to have around 100 and need to keep the cost reasonable. Also any decorating ideas would be appreciated.

Brenda from Coshocton, OH

When my parents had their big birthdays, we created candy-bar wrappers with photos of the birthday-person and a thank you sentiment printed. There are companies that will do it for you, http://www.customcandybars.com/

and

http://www.sweet-reflections.com/ca ... nid=7d78bbd3cf4e491ddac1b0773833d481

and some computer programs you can find that will help you create your own labels. It's not too hard to do.

How about taking a photo of your mom, making some business cards with her photo, some little message on them, maybe the date, and a thank you for celebrating with us type thing. You can print them on the computer, I do my boss's business cards all the time! You could do them for less than $10. You could even have a variety of different picts of your mom! You could "fancy" them up by using a paper punch and tying a piece of ribbon or curling ribbon on each.

Hope you have a great celebration!

Pam

You could get memorabilia from ebay. Like magazines or music from the era she was born, late 1920s or 30s, and use them for decorations on tabletops or the party invitation. For my dad's 70th, I designed a fake newspaper headline and used a picture from his childhood to make the party invitation.

You could also use Google to find out interesting info about our country during that time; how much gas cost, milk cost, houses cost, what was the # song, etc., and type up that info in a festive way to use as centerpieces on the table (kinda like drink menus at restaurants. Put the info in clear plastic upright frames.) Or print them out and put them at each place setting just laying flat.

You could put the year she was born at the top and then all kinds of fun facts underneath. It would get people talking and her reminiscing about the old days! Have fun!

-Lee in FL

How about little net bags with 80 shiny new pennies in each with a "tag" about 1 shiny penny for each shiny year of life!

Read More Answers...

March 24, 2009 Flag

What kind of performance should my family do for my grandmother's 80th birthday?

By Esther from Malaysia

Take her a stroll down memory lane with a "lip sync" performance of the hit music from her younger years.

Would be fun to find costumes and "be-bop" to some Fats Domino, Shangrilas, and don't forget to have a Dick Clark look-a-like and a "Band Stand" stage.

Maybe not a performance but you could take old photos and make a movie out of them. Google to find a company who does this in your area. You just give them your photos, they make a slide show movie adding music if you want.

I would ask her what her favorite songs are. Then pick 2...a happy/funny one and a loving/sensitive one. Then get the words to each song. On the funny one, you could make props. If the song mentions sunshine, use paper or poster board and draw or cut out a big sun. Use key words in the song and have about 10 props then as the song is playing you and your relatives can "act out" the song by holding up the props all together. We did this for my mom's 70th birthday and it was great fun! We had sunglasses, Monopoly money we threw in the air, a cowboy hat, etc.....Then for the serious song we wrote all the words out on very big poster board(each poster only had a word or two, painted large.) and stood in a row facing her as the song played. We each had a pile of posters we divided and we would each hold up a new poster with the words to follow along as the song was playing. It was very moving and everyone cried. Hope that gives you some help! Have fun! She'll appreciate all your efforts!

-Lee in FL

Try doing a "This is your life". Invite any old friends & have them relate a favorite funny or sentimental story. Ask family to do the same. Go through the stages of life. Present momentos of each stage too.

June 10, 2010 Flag

Any ideas for games to be played at an 80th birthday party?

By Laurie from OH

These are two from our (long ago) teenage youth group Church socials. You may know of them already. One is pass the parcel. You wrap a treasure, a block of chocolate or some other small thing in a piece of paper, then keep on adding more and more layers of paper till the parcel is huge.. or as big as you want. Every one sits in a circle and the parcel is passed from one to the other, with each person taking off a layer of paper, until the tiny parcel with the treasure is revealed, the that lucky person gets the treasure.

The other one is called 'Poor Pussy' in this one person is selected as the cat. Again everyone sits in a circle, and the 'cat' choses a person to kneel down in front of and miaow. That person has to stroke the 'cat'on the head and say 'Poor Pussy' while the cat does every thing in it's power to make the person laugh. As soon as the person laughs, they are out of the game, and the cat chooses another victim.

They are very simple games, but it usually ends up with everyone laughing like crazy,

I agree.You don't want anything that will make your Mom feel age depressed.

Group games like Bingo...and if all those attending the party know each other well, you could offer a true statement about a person and have the others guess who that person might be. Then do it to each of the partiers until all have had something good, special or unique said about them.

Using dry beans for money and all get the same amount, hold an auction and sell off little items in brown bags(lotions, shampoo, ink pen, or gag gifts, etc.) The one who still has the most beans gets a prize at the end of the auction.

Find out what games were played back when the birthday boy/girl was young. Incorporate them into the party.

Flashback, have people dress in clothing from that era, play games from the era, play music from the era, etc.

October 6, 2009 Flag

Could you help me with a theme for my mother's 80th birthday celebration?

By scarloss43 from Monroe, LA

Just a thought, with this idea you could be very creative. What was going on in the world 80 years. ago that would be special to your mother; popular song, author, maybe a birthday theme for that era. I once found my mother a copy of a newspaper of the year she was born. She was thrilled. Just a thought.

This isn't really a theme, but it makes a wonderful gift. Write down 80 things you love about your mom. It could be special qualities she has or the way she cooks your very favorite meal or memories of things she's done for you or memories of trips or holidays, etc. Some could be funny, but most should be from the heart. I've don't this for both my parents and my step dad and it was the best present they ever got. Don't we all want to know how we've made a difference and impacted the lives of others? 80 memories of your mom is a fabulous way to tell her you love her! (you won't be able to think of 80 in one sitting, so try doing 10 at a time until you come up with 80.)

December 9, 2011 Flag

How should I write a letter to my father-in-law for his 80th birthday?

By Laurie Kay from Chino Hills, CA

With really large print!

May 5, 2010 Flag

I need ideas for a man's 80th birthday party.

By Alex from TX

We just had my dad's 80th birthday, and it was so great. We had bbq catered. We had a photo time line area where we framed lots of photos from when he was little to present. I researched the last 8 decades and did a page on what was going on in that decade to put at that area. Also, did a sheet on what was happening on his birthday 80 yrs ago. for his cake, we did 5 different layer cakes (lemon, strawberry, chocolate, white & Italian cream), they were a huge hit. We put the cakes on different hts cake plates on a table that had greenery with twinkle lights on it, the centerpiece was glass kraft blocks (hobby lobby) that I frosted and stacked (each had a lite inside) with an 80 on top. the 80 was thick wood numbers (hobby lobby) that I painted with gold metallic paint. The cake table was gorgeous. We gave guests an opportunity to roast or toast daddy, and that turned out really well. We had guests jot down memories on pre-cut strips of paper and put them in a decorated bag for him to take home and read later, from the great grandkids we decorated a small jar and put in 80 of the chocolate hugs and kisses, put on the jar, 80 hugs and kisses and the ggkids names. From the grandkids we decorated another jar and put in 80 gold dollars (get them from ur bank) and put on the jar 80 golden dollars for 80 golden years and the gkids names. One of the gkids decorated a scrapbook to put stuff from the party in later. We had balloons on the card/gift table, a banner that said happy 80th birthday (u can order one online from party supply), on the table we did half with potted gerbera daisies that daddy took home and planted and the other half with vases with water with gerbera daisies floating in them. We had confetti and curly ribbon sprinkled around the centerpieces, and it looked really good. Make sure u take family photos, probably the only time u will have that many people there at one time. Daddy is still smiling when he thinks of the party, he really loved it. If you want to see any photos or have any questions, email me at nanakay01 at hotmail . com. Please put "80 bday idea request in subject line or I will not open. Hope you have a great party.

February 24, 2005 Flag

Need ideas for a toast for mother-in-law's 80th Birthday.

Nisha

Hi. How well do you know your mother-in-law? By that I mean would you be familiar with her favorite music, the song she had her first dance to, got her first kiss during, wedding song? If so, then simply by put a time-edited compliation of the songs that she would recognize as important milestones in her life, combined with you recalling the memory would be a striking way to pay homage to the remarkable woman that she was, has been and will continue to be. Music is a powerful form of expression and most people couldn't tell you the name of the guy they dated in college, but still remember the song that was playing when the had their first kiss. Good luck to you. And to her, best wishes in luck and love and may happiness carry her throughout the rest of her days as its carried her through these.

I need Iideas for Toast for Husbands 50th Birthday anitadayal AT hotmail.com

November 14, 2004 Flag

I need some ideas for my mother's 80th birthday. - Jennie

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayMarch 30, 2014
middle aged man and family celebrating his birthday
Celebrating Milestone Birthdays
80th Birthday Cake
80th Birthday Gift Ideas
ribbon and balloon hair clip
Making a Birthday Hair Clip
daughter giving mother a gift
Thank You Speech for Mother's 80 Birthday
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:06:56 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 773 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.