Disposing of Free Address Labels to Prevent Identity Theft

My mother gets hundreds of the sticky return address labels, we have been cutting them up and trashing them. They destroy shredders, by gumming up the blades. How can we get them to stop sending them and what is an easier way to dispose of them?

By Jeanne

One idea is to refuse the letter that contains the labels. Do not open the letter, just write refused on the face of the letter and return the letter to the postman. Another is to contact the folks sending the labels and ask to be taken off their mailing list.

Also, you may check out on google and look for web page that will put you on a do not mail list. I get labels in the mail from time to time but I use them on my mail that I send out.

If they gum up your shredder try using some rubbing alcohol on the sticky side to remove the glue before shredding.

I wouldn't worry too much about identity theft and address labels - anyone can look up your address in the phone book/internet and find your name and address. The library has city directories, too, and people can look up deed information in the town hall.

I use free address labels on my books, cds, and dvds to make sure I get them back if I loan them out. I also sometimes put them on my office supplies at work to make sure they don't wander too far. :)

These ideas are good, but failing that, you can just recycle the paper. I recycle as much paper as I can.

You can also use them if you go to any kind of "show" where you can submit your name and address on an entry form for (whatever). If I live to 100 I'll never use all of the labels I have so I've started cutting off the little decorative picture/initial/flower and attaching them onto my bill payment envelopes. I hope it brightens up someones day!

If your mother puts her return address on mail that she sends out, what is the difference if she writes it or sticks it on. Here is what she can do with them. If she has friends and relatives who she writes to and they write to her, have her send them each a page so that when they address the envelopes they can just put one of her stickers on. And then she should just use them.

Opt out on junk mail and you won't have this problem. Only junk mail I get is grocery store flyer which I'm glad to get. I've opted out with every business I deal with telling them I don't want anything from their parent or otherwise companies. I pay my bills online and don't get statements. I get very little mail which is fine with me.

There truly is no cause to worry about these labels causing identity theft. Can anyone else steal your mom's identity simply knowing only her postal address? No way.

There are some great ideas here already for stopping them being sent to her in the first place and also great ideas for reuse and recycling instead of cutting up and throwing in the trash so please take a deep breath of relief and consider making the best of the freebies that are being sent to her. :-)

First, make use of the whole labels to attach on mail you send out.

Second, use whole labels to identify your pot luck dishes, utensils, casserole dishes for friends, family, or neighbors.

Thirdly, label condiments, books, movies, and music, adding a blank label, to name the item, from Avery "peel and stick office labels" you find at thrift stores and garage sales, very inexpensively.

Finally, cut off the pretty pictures to add color, excitement, and design to use like stickers and stamps on letters, artwork, and scrapbooks.

Preventing Identity Theft, Thief in mask on Computer
Preventing Identity Theft
Organizing Bills and MailMay 24, 2011
Finding Free Address Labels
Finding Free Address Labels
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
🎄