Browsing: Removing Tree Sap from a Car

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Tree Sap from a Car

When tree sap gets on your car it can be tricky to remove. You'll want to remove the sap without doing damage to the wax below it. This is a guide about removing tree sap from your car.

Christmas tree on top of an SUV.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 15, 2013 Flag

We were "rained on" by a newly trimmed pine tree. Not much seemed to work and the sticky gunk got everywhere!

This combo worked effortlessly:

1. Scrape off carefully with single-edged razor blade.
  2. Follow by wiping with WD40 on cloth or paper towel.
  3. Wash car as usual.

July 17, 2010 Flag

Can anyone tell me how to safely remove tree sap from my car's finish?

By Claire from Chicago burbs

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Mostly this is just a caution (regardless of what you see in some of the responses here (DO NOT USE NAIL POLISH REMOVER).

It contains acetone and acetone will dissolve both enamel and acrylic auto paint, it is a terrible idea.

I parked my truck over winter under a large pine tree and got hundreds of sap spots.

I am using a spray can product called "Tarminator", but my sap is in heavy spots and very dried on it takes 5 to 10 applications of Tarminator and hevy rubbing to remove each spot. The Turtle wax product does not work at all.

I am going to try mineral spirits (paint thinner NOT lacquer thinner) because from the smell it seems like it is the main ingredient in Tarminator and mineral spirits should not hurt my trucks acrylic lacquer clear coat finish.

Rubbing alcohol.or hand sanitizer.

Read More Answers...

April 24, 2011 Flag

How do you safely remove pine sap from cars without damaging the paint?

By Amanda from TX

You take a dryer sheet and wet it some and scrub over the sap normal works for me.

We live in a pine grove in Maine - the pine tree state, so I have some experience with this... I find that Purell or a similar waterless hand cleaner works well.

Mary Rollerson

April 8, 2012 Flag

How do you get sap off a car?

By Lena C.

Rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. wet the q-tip with rubbing alcohol and rub the sap until it lifts off. follow up with by waxing the car with your favorite wax.

Do not use fingernail polish. It will strip the paint.

Use Baby oil and rub it until gone. I wouldn't use any chemicals as they can strip your clear coat/wax or paint right off. You could also try some ice and chip it off very carefully with a blade. I use the baby oil myself.

January 29, 2012 Flag

How can I remove the sap that has fallen on top of my car?

By Jesse B.

There is a product at the hardware store called "goo gone". Self explanatory.

I just tried Goo Gone It doesn't work don't waste your money WD-40 works but it's a lot of scrubbing here's my take on it a lot of scrubbing with WD-40 but it does work

August 10, 2011 Flag

I have some tree sap on my car hood and would like to remove it. Any suggestions for doing so without ruining the paint?

By Rose from Malvern, PA

I googled this subject and found a video on YouTube. Appears to work pretty well. You might want to do a color test in an inconspicuous spot to make sure the hand sanitizer doesn't damage your paint. This wasn't mentioned in the video but something I wondered about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoTj9OC-6eI

Tea Tree oil dissolves pine sap, spruce sap. It's safe enough to use as a mouth wash and will not harm your wax or paint. Find in a drug store or a health food store (better than mayo, butter, soda, cleaners).

July 5, 2013 Flag

How do I remove tree sap from my truck box liner/ I hauled a load of wood and now there's sap/pitch all over my liner.

By Cindy

Turpentine or finger nail polish remover. Helped cut down a evergreen in my front yard. Gloves were sticky with sap, then was my gloves with hands still in them and it came right off. Used gardening gloves not leather ones

April 24, 2011 Flag

I've tried everything to remove sap from my auto. What I found to work really well is Goo. It's a liquid that is used to remove almost anything that is sticky. I found that it works better in the sun. Goo seems to work best when the body of the car is warm. It doesn't harm your paint and it works well on glass too.

By SYBCM from Santa Ynez, CA

Answers:

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

Is this stuff orange scented? I believe the name is Goo Gone. (09/30/2009)

By OliveOyl

Removing Tree Sap From a Car

If you mean Goo Gone, it didn't work to get the sap off my car. (10/01/2009)

By metroplex

July 17, 2010 Flag

How does one clean sap off a car?

By Mary Anne from McLean, VA

Answers:

Tree Sap on a Car

We used to live "under the pines" and had the same problem! Use rubbing alchohol on a soft rag or paper towel. It takes off the pine sap and also any wax, so that will need to be reapplied. Sap is nasty stuff that can change the color of your paint, so the sooner you get it off the better. (04/10/2010)

By Ginnywest

April 9, 2010 Flag

How do I clean dried pine sap off my car, without damaging the paint?

Pippa Kay from Hampshire UK

Answers:

Pine Tree Sap on Car

I just successfully removed 1-1.5 year dried sap on my silver-colored car. What I used:
- Murphy's Oil Soap.
- a small wooden spoon (that was already saturated with oils - basically, I wanted a smooth, wood spoon that wouldn't scratch)

Prep:
1) Rainy day. Wax is a little soft (if at all possible).

Procedure:
2) I rubbed a lot of the oil onto the dried wax.
3) After 5-10 minutes, I rubbed it with a cloth. Then I used the wooden spoon scrape off the dried wax. Worked like a charm. The paint didn't come off. The wax came off like hard dried candied syrup.

After most of the wax came off, I rubbed the oiled cloth into the bits of dried pieces and they came off. I did this on the headlights as well and it worked well.

Pros:

Cons:

I had about 20-30 spots of dried wax (with a few bubbles of hard wax). (11/22/2009)

By skaypip

Pine Tree Sap on Car

Checked today on your site for removing pine sap. Tried the alcohol as suggested. Removed sap build up from last summer, no damage to the paint. The greatest. (12/22/2009)

By HBuck

November 12, 2009 Flag

September 30, 2009 Flag

Can tree sap eat through car paint? We have a tree that I cannot identify, a deciduous tree with pods.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning AutoAugust 16, 2011
Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Tree Sap From Laminate Flooring
A dog sitting near pine trees.
Removing Tree Sap from Your Pet's Fur
Beautiful Cedar Deck
Removing Sap from a Deck
Sap spot and cleaning supplies.
Removing Tree Sap on Microfiber
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 10:33:32 PM on 10.0.0.82 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.