Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dull Stains From Iron in Water

What do I to use so well water with a lot of iron won't discolor laundry?

By Maggie from St. Augustine, FL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By paula [18]04/24/2010

At our last home we had a well with alot of iron in the water and we installed a water softner and used iron removing softening salt. It worked very well. Just don't run out of salt or you are back to the same dingy look that just won't come out of clothes.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dull Stains From Iron in Water

My daughter has well water and it has a lot of iron in it. This stains all of her white clothes and makes her colored clothes dull. Does anyone know how to remove these stains and prevent this from happening again? Thanks for any help.

Beth from Oak Grove, LA

RE: Dull Stains From Iron in Water

There is a product called Iron Out. You can get it at Walmart or other like stores. It is what my mom used for the same problem. (01/22/2008)

By ttustudent

RE: Dull Stains From Iron in Water

Put in a really good water filter. She might not need to be drinking that much iron either. So maybe not only the clothes are suffering. (01/22/2008)

By junebug_000

RE: Dull Stains From Iron in Water

RIT makes a product called RIT Color Remover ("not" the color brightener). Use as needed on white clothes (follow package directions) and your whites really will be as white as when they were new. (01/23/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

RE: Dull Stains From Iron in Water

I am not sure if my daughter's stains are from iron, but her white uniforms turn a light blue in her well water. I put about a half cup or more of white vinegar in when I wash them and they all come out nice and white. This may help with your stains. (02/03/2008)

By Arlene

RE: Dull Stains From Iron in Water

I'm on well water too and had similar problems for years. By accident, I discovered that avoiding products that contained bleach made all the difference.

For laundry, I use Sunlight instead of the Tide I used to use. This may not be available outside of Canada, check the label. My dishes would get a brownish stain on them. Electrasol solved the problem. It does not contain bleach.

Good luck. (04/11/2008)

By Joyce

RE: Dull Stains From Iron in Water

Water softener appliances can remove low levels of iron as well as softening the water. They require replenishing with salt, but may be cheaper in the long run than repeated use of products like Iron Out. Some wells produce particles of rust from iron in the well shaft or plumbing. These particles can be removed with a filter. (10/23/2008)

By Red Neck