Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

I am looking for a home remedy for pet urine stains on carpet.

By Debbie from Farmington Hills, MI

By Adriamarie02/02/2012

If you have a Local Carpet Cleaner supplier or Janitor Supply , there is a carpet cleaner called "Kill Odor" and it's what Carpet Professionals use when they clean your carpet and it's the "BEST" product to use for Pets, Smokers etc.

It comes in a huge gallon jug and You mix w/ water , it will last for a long long time and You can also use it for cleaning the Bathroom, Kitchen, Garage just about every where and it has a Wonderful Fresh smell.

By susan [33]10/23/2010

Wal-mart used to carry a product called "totally toddler" and they also had one called "totally pet". It is very easy to use and does really well. One caution it is quite strong for asthmatics, I cannot use it anymore. But it works great!

By Trish [2]10/23/2010

I have used peroxide (plain old household type) and ammonia forever. 1 cup peroxide to 1 tablespoon of ammonia. I use this cleaning solution on so many things and it hasn't failed me yet. You might want to do a small test area first but I have not had it remove color from anything that I have used it on. Just spray, let it sit a bit and blot with paper towels. Keep on until the stain is gone. My animals do not go back to an area cleaned with this solution.

By katrina [5]10/21/2010

There are several similar requests that have answers here on the site; but I have found that the very best for any/all odors is Don Aslett's XO; it is used in hospitals and nursing homes, I was unable to locate it locally at janitorial supply houses, so I got it from site years ago; I have given it to others, and used it myself many times, and it is outstanding.
I learned about it on www.qvc.com; when the problem solutions came on; I had seen it several times, and finally ordered some from his own site; for me and a friend who split a gallon of it. I still have lots left, and have used it with great success. It is biodegradeable and safe for animals and humans!
It is concentrated so a little goes a very long time. In fact, if I had known how great it worked and how little was needed, I never would have gotten 1/2 a gallon!
Good luck!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

I am a college student and just got a new puppy about a month ago. He is now potty trained and the few accidents he did have on the carpet, I thought, I had cleaned well. However, when it rains and the house gets humid, my living room has a distinct pet odor, which I find repulsive. I was wondering if there is a low cost method to cleaning normal carpet with a homemade solution?

Jaime

RE: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

Baking soda should help. It removes odours from your fridge and laundry. Sprinkle it on and let it sit for awhile before vacuuming. (09/25/2005)

By mamajuice43

RE: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

Using any plastic container (not metal) mix the solution as follows:
  • 12 oz. 3% hydrogen peroxide
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ajax dishwashing liquid soap
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Arm and Hammer baking soda

Mix well using a plastic spoon (not metal). If you have a large area or more than one area to clean you may want to use a bigger bowl and mix enough solution according to your needs. Once it is mixed put into your empty plastic bottle. Always discard unused portion because the oxygen in the peroxide mixed with these other items can make it explode.

You have to find all the old stains and odors because they give off an odor to your dog or cat that has them coming back to the same place. If you have a black light shut off all the lights in your home and turn on the black light. The urine in the carpet or on the furniture will glow. Once you find the urine spots, then pour the solution evenly on the whole spot, making sure to saturate the carpet and the padding under the carpet (you may want to do a spot test on your carpet or furniture first.)

Once the whole urine area is saturated block it off to keep people or your pets from walking on it until it is completely dry. Do not blot up any of the formula because the stain needs to be saturated thoroughly and then dry on its own.

After it has dried, vacuum spot to remove any white powder left over from the baking soda. Scotch guarded carpet takes a while to absorb the liquid, but after it sits there awhile it will absorb into the carpet and padding. You may have to pour a little extra solution on this type of carpet. It may take a few days to clean room by room, but it will be well worth it in the end. If you have large areas to clean you can even mix up enough of this to go in a carpet cleaner and clean all spots at once. (09/27/2005)

By irishkilbride

RE: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

I clean up the messes good and then pour vinegar on the spot and blot it up. I don't have any odors so you may want to give it a try. The smell of the vinegar will go away quickly. (09/27/2005)

By starlight

RE: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

Try making a paste mixture of baking soda and peroxide using equal parts, then add 3/4 cup of hot water. Mix it well. Put on stain and let dry. When it dries, brush off. (09/27/2005)

By Ann Marie

RE: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

First blot up as much of the liquid, or solid, as possible; I use paper towels. Then sprinkle on baking soda. Atop that put a dilute mix of white vinegar + water; about 1:4 is good here. These two items will bubble 'n fizz while it works. Let the stuff sit there several minutes, depending on how severe is your stain. You'll get better at deciding how long with experience. This gets rid of the smell and the stain. Repeat if necessary. (09/10/2006)

By gator10tx

RE: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

For urine, feces, vomit, etc. use vinegar. No soap, detergent, or other cleaner until after you have doused it with straight undiluted vinegar. (01/27/2008)

By CascadeMom

RE: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

Just a thought. Using peroxide may possibly work to remove stains and odor, however, you should test it in an area that normally can't be seen. Peroxide can also bleach out color. (03/31/2008)

By crazyliblady

RE: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

I found a product online called "Bio-spotter" it is an organic pet treatment and it worked really well. It did not cost much so I would suggest looking into this product versus making your own. (03/01/2009)

By Cynthia

RE: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

I checked the Bio-spotter web site and no where does it say anything about removing urine odor just stains. It has been my personal experience with all kinds of urine stains on carpet that if you remove them before they dry using just water and a water tolerant vacuum like a shop vac, the stain and most of the odor causing residue is removed completely. If you wait too long, the urine changes and the resulting salt bonds to the carpet and can not be washed away with anything. It must be neutralized in place. Its called OdorXit Concentrate. (03/11/2009)

By exring

I want a recipe for homemade carpet cleaner, please. I have a puppy.

By Celia from Baton Rouge, LA

RE: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

Vinegar and water is the very best thing. It kills the odor and germs. (11/17/2009)

By mkm1enonly

RE: Homemade Pet Stain and Odor Removal

I want to say I appreciate all the info. I have always used the vinegar solution because of allergies to cleaners. I have learned new info from all these blogs. Thanks. (02/23/2010)

By Terrilee99