Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Something is Biting Me, Mites?

Does anyone know what will kill bird mites in the house? I'm getting bitten. I have a crawly sensation and sharp stinging bites. It feels like they are in my eyebrows, eyelashes, nose, and ears. Does this sound like it could be mites? I've not seen what is biting me.

Any advise would be most welcome, believe me. I did have a pet bird, who was pulling his feathers out. I replaced his bird protector and he quit. I have since given him to a good friend, as she has more time for him.

Could it be mites from him and now that he is gone I'm their target? There are no bedbugs, I had pest control out. It's not fleas, 10 foggers later. The bite locations are not normal for scabies. It is not lice, you can see them, also it is said that they leave blood spots. There are not spots. I am desperately seeking an identification.

By Jannette from Bloomington, IL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Kim Crickard08/05/2010

After visiting Drs that were totally clueless, even though I told them I had birds, I was finally treated for scabies (yuck!) which I did not have. It turns out that the permethrin in that treatment also works for mites bites. Got itchier right after the treatment, but it did work.

I also used "Avian Insect Liquidator". It's ok to spray on birds for mites, so I used it around the poopy edges of the nests of my breeding canaries, on me, in my bed, around cage edges where mites might hide, etc, etc. It totally cured me and my birds! Which was a welcome relief after having 50 bites.

You can also use it on ants, as they will attack baby birds in an outdoor aviary. (Horrible!) The ants will die, and will not cross the path for a couple weeks at least after treatment of the area.

By CaroleeRose [49]02/11/2010

Many years ago my husband and I lived in a huge Apartment Complex and during the winter some company came in and spread pine needles all over the entire place. The pine needles had not been treated and I felt like I was being eaten alive.

Turns out the Pine needles had Spring Fleas and several small children that had played on the pine needles actually went to the hospital to be treated.

I remember it being awful, and I had open wounds from scratching because it itched so bad.

Spring Fleas can't be seen and I remember taking lots of Benadryl, using anti-itch cream and washing all
my clothes, dogs and cats. Not to mention treating all the carpet.

By Sharon02/10/2010

Also I have had this problem, citrus pelagonian can be boiled up, a big or even two handfuls, cool it then tip it over yourself (expecially your hair) in the bath. Then have a soak that should at least get them off you.

Yeah personal experience, its not a nice one!! You can put in the water you wash the floor with and in the washing machine with the soap. Flea bomb should help with the rest. Good luck. Sharon

By Brie [1]02/10/2010

If it is bird mites then here is a good website for you! http://www.birdmites.org/
Here they describe a possible bird mite infection and some effective ways to treat. Good luck!