Cutting heating Costs By Blocking Open Doorways

I need your advice. My 2 largest rooms, between them, have 3 open doorways, yet I seldom use these areas (at least for now). My gas heat bills can be enormous, and blocking the vents alone doesn't quite solve the problem.

So what kind of hangings should I buy/ make for the doorways? I'm thinking about some type of Roman shades, perhaps, so that the height of the passage, rather than the width, is compromised.

If so, what material would you recommend? But if not, do you have alternative ideas for me? Thanks so much for your help!

BTW, 2 are 38x80, and 1 is 48x80.

By Nica from Big Bend Cutt, WV

Easiest thing would be to buy or make curtains from a heavy fabric and hang them on curtain rods. It would be easy to enter the room by just walking between 2 curtain panels.

My mother used to hang old blankets over doorways to rooms, even just for privacy. All she did was use nails to do it.

I personally would hang a curtain rod, with round curtain rod ring clips, so I could hang heavy curtains or blankets from them, that way they would move easily back and forth for me. You just hook the curtain or blanket to the clips, and it hangs great. Slides easily on the rod,

I agree with the heavy blankets; in fact, I would be looking for down if possible or several heavy quilts, and perhaps even putting "velcro" or something on them and double edged tape to really seal them off! I layer my windows: putting rolled up towels between the screens and the windows; then mini blinds, lace curtains, and another rod with apricot colored twin bedspreads over them. I also put bubble wrap on the windows themselves; spray lightly with water, and press on; then several layers of bubble wrap!

My solution is to buy solid colored plastic that looks like fabric and is lightweight. (shower curtains) This blocks out a lot of drafts and will get your through the winter months and can be stored away and used again later. A strong spring loaded rod may be sufficient to hang the plastic curtains from and can be removed after winter. If you buy more than one shower curtain it will add fullness, can be cut to specified length, is inexpensive and will provide an opening into other area when necessary.

For doors, roll up bath towels and push a little of it under the drafty door. It's a nuisance when you have to go into the room and come back out and fix the towel in place, but it will save on fuel costs.

Windows? I suggest going to WalMart and buying heavier plastic off the bolt in material dept. It's reasonably priced and again can be used over as it's not flimsy plastic. Turn the end of plastic around cardboard and adhere with staple gun OR use strong tape to the edge of plastic and window frame to hold in place; just make sure your plastic is not loosely placed on the window keep it tight, so it looks less noticeable and more like glass.

One of the easiest way to block doorways of that size would be with flat sheets and tension rods. Just shirr the sheets on the properly sized rod (you might have to open the seam). I have been doing this for years. You could even 'double layer' the rods and sheets for more insulating. A big bonus is that the tension rods won't mar the finish on your woodwork. Easy to put up and easy to take down. If appearance isn't a big factor, duct take up the hems if the the sheets are too long.

We use old quilts! I will either buy a new looking quilt from a re-sell it shop or garage sale and then with some sew on velcro I put a row of the heavy duty across one end of it using the softer side of the velcro and then tack (I use heavy duty staples) to the area above the door. If the staples are too noticeable, I take a bit of nail polish that is about the same color and use it over the staples (Oh be sure to use velcro that is dark for dark paneling or white for the white walls) and you can't see the staples. You can change the quilts with the season or holiday by keeping an eye out all year or you can check out the quilt pieces at your local sewing center.

Budget & Finance UtilitiesOctober 7, 2010
Inside a solar porch.
Solar Heating Porch
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
Wood Burning Stove
Heating with Wood
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home