What Type of Squash is This? (Strange Zucchini)

Question:

Does anyone know what kind of squash this is? It tastes like regular zucchini, but I have never seen anything like it and no one can tell me what type it is.

Ragteller from Tofield, Alberta Canada

Answer:

Ragteller,

This is a lovely looking squash, and despite the fact that it looks familiar, I can't seem to find any good sources for identifying it. It looks like it has a tougher, slightly "warted" outer skin, which makes me think it's either an edible ornamental gourd or some type of winter squash (all squash are gourds, but not all gourds are squash). Around here, I've seen these in large bins at grocery stores and home improvement stores. Usually they are just lumped in with hundreds of others and labeled "ornamental" of "fancy." Did you grow this or purchase it? It appears to be two-toned rather than transitioning to a solid color. I would certainly guess that it's a hybrid of some type, but it might be fun to save the seeds for planting next year just to see what you come up with. It also looks like a wonderful size for baking stuffed and serving at holiday meals. In any case, if you are able to eventually figure it out, please post the answer here. You have certainly sparked my curiosity and I would love to try to grow some of my own!

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

This looks like a fancy zucchini to me. I like to get this kind around Halloween and dry them - makes a pretty decoration. Meanwhile, enjoy!

Did you purchase this in a store, or did you grow it yourself? My brother has a vegetable garden and at the end of the season does not pick all of the yellow and zucchini squash, the following year some of them had self seeded and he had a cross between the two. He cooked one up and said that it tasted just like a zucchini. Maybe you have one of those, or a commercial hybrid of the two.

I BELIEVE IT'S AN ACORN SQUASH

THERE ARE ROUND ZUCHINI AND SEVERAL DIFFERENT VARIETIES. THERE ARE HEIRLOOM VARIETIES YOU HARDLY EVER SEE ANY MORE AND THERE ARE HYBRIDS THAT ARE NEW TO THE MARKET. IF IT TASTE GOOD AND YOU LIKE IT, KEEP SOME OF THE SEED AND SEE IF YOU CAN GROW IT NEXT YEAR.

I've seen gourds that look a lot like that (two-toned). Do you think a gourd and a zucchini inter-pollinated to produce a new variety? I agree that you should save some seeds to see if you can grow them again. As long as they taste good. I'd call a local university's Extension Service to see if they are able to guide you. Maybe they'd like some seeds to plant too.

Growing Summer Squash
Growing Summer Squash
Home and Garden Gardening Plant Info What Is This PlantNovember 16, 2006
Growing Zucchini Squash
Growing Zucchini Squash
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes
🎉
🎄