Summer Squash Not Growing Large

If your squash is producing smaller fruit it can be the result of a number of things, such as watering, fertilizers used, the variety planted, and more. Trial and error may help determine the cause. This is a guide about what to do when summer squash is not growing large.

This summer my zucchini and yellow crookneck squash plants are thriving and producing tons of tiny fruit, but the fruit is not growing and developing like it should. The fruit gets to 4-6" long and seems to quit growing. I fertilize regularly and water daily. Any suggestions? I have never had a problem with squash before!

Answers

Best Answer

Some say it is better to cut the squash at this size. The plant will produce more. The zucchini and squash plants aren't doing well this year in Tahiti.

In order to make my plants grow larger squash I have cultivated around the roots of the plant. I would also try to use fish fertilizer on the plants instead of fertilizer you are using.

I also take all of my scraps from fruit and veggie cutting and mix them up in my blender. I add a little water to make it easier to mix. Afterwards, pour this mixture at the base of your plants. This does wonders for producing larger veggies.

Best Answer

Make sure you water daily.
Don't plant in the same place you planted the year before

Zucchini and yellow squash shouldn't be planted next to each other.

I wonder what variety squash you are planting. Also, check the type of fertilizer you are using. Is it for vegetables?