Rinse and Reuse Coffee Filters

I use the natural brown unbleached coffee filters for my electric coffee pot and the non-electric one cup cone coffee maker over and over again. These can be carefully rinsed and air-dried to reuse and still work like new. The inexpensive white ones will fall apart, but the better quality ones should work also.

The one cup filter is rinsed out while still in the plastic holder because these are more delicate due of the seam at the bottom. Then hang upside down on a wooden spoon standing up in dish strainer. The coffee basket ones can be hung over the dish strainer edge to dry and then gently placed back in basket pressing sides to fit snug enough to function like new.

Keeps paper out of landfill plus stretches your budget. You'll be surprised how many times you can reuse before discarding.

By tootic from Plainville, CT

But why? Are they really that expensive? They are biodegradable so they don't hurt the land fill. Personally I prefer the reusable mesh filter. Just rinse it out and use it over and over.

The natural brown coffee filters are more expensive than the bleached but I feel makes your coffee taste better. Some people go through a lot of these in a week. Why toss them if they can be safely reused? A penny saved is a penny earned.

I would also ask but why? It is like washing and reusing paper plates. You can look at it as using more water.

Why not use the ones that are re-usable,seems that would save more money in the long run.

Just my opinion.

Been doing that for years. Except that I take the used coffee filter and hang it outside in the sun on the washing line to dry out the coffee first. So I just have to tap the dried, used coffee grounds into the plant soil or compost bin. Then a quick rinse since the filter is more or less cleaned out anyway and I reuse it again and again.

Love the idea! Do use the brown ones folks; they aren't bleached; however with all the chemicals applied to everything to harm us with; not even sure they don't have them in them anymore! (most of the coffee you drink does however).

I rinse my paper filters out then place them on an oven rack to dry overnight. The heat of the pilot light does a perfect job of drying them out! I use basket filters (no seam) and they never tear. Does not adversely affect the taste of the coffee if you rinse them out thoroughly.

Hum, I have mixed feelings about this. I try to re-use and not waste but perhaps this is going a little too far. I mean you are using the water to rinse the filter and spending your time doing so. I wouldn't think the filters are very expensive to begin with and of course totally recyclable. Maybe just buy yourself one of those reusable mesh filters... then again, whatever floats your boat, I always say!

I have reused the coffee grounds from time to time... so do reuse the filter they are in. Like if we make coffee in the morning and find we want a little more a little later, I just add a little fresh grounds to the ones that were just used and it makes a perfectly fine couple cups more.

Reusing Paper Coffee Filters
Reusing Paper Coffee Filters
Better Living Green Living ReusingOctober 15, 2010
Dishwasher full of dishes.
Homemade Rinse Agent Recipes
Beautiful coffee filter flowers in jars fiilled with rocks
Crafts Using Coffee Filters
Dishwasher full of dishes.
Saving Money on Rinse Agent
furnace air filter
Reusing Air Cleaner Filters