Reusing Paper Coffee Filters

Category Reusing
Paper coffee filters can actually be used multiple times, saving you money and reducing trash. This is a page about reusing paper coffee filters.

We drink a lot of coffee in our house and each time after making coffee, we threw out the paper filter along with the grinds. Since I didn't like wasting so many paper filters, I tried the resuable (Mr. Coffee) plastic coffee filters with the mesh, but I found the fine grounds found their way through and made a mucky sediment in the bottom of the coffee pot.

I decided to come up with a way to use the disposable and the reusable at the same time, and also save on throwing out the paper filters every time.

Here's what I do: First, I put the paper filter into my basket where the filter goes, then put the reusable plastic filter inside it it, and then I put my normal amount of coffee in it and turn on my coffee maker.

Once the grounds are cool/cold, I lift the basket out, and holding onto the sides so the basket, paper, and plastic filters don't separate, I turn them upside down and tap the grounds out into a small plastic container to recycle in my compost bin. (or tap the grounds out into your garbage can)

Once most of the grounds are out, (again holding onto the sides) I run it upright under hot water sloshing it around, pouring it out and rinsing it again until the water runs clear. Then I put the basket/filters back into the coffee pot and it's ready to use again. This way, I can use the same paper filter about 4-5 times over the period of 2 days before disposing.

By ann from Goulais River, Ontario

I use the natural brown unbleached coffee filters for my electric coffee pot and the non-electric one cup cone coffee maker over and over again. These can be carefully rinsed and air-dried to reuse and still work like new. The inexpensive white ones will fall apart, but the better quality ones should work also.

The one cup filter is rinsed out while still in the plastic holder because these are more delicate due of the seam at the bottom. Then hang upside down on a wooden spoon standing up in dish strainer. The coffee basket ones can be hung over the dish strainer edge to dry and then gently placed back in basket pressing sides to fit snug enough to function like new.

Keeps paper out of landfill plus stretches your budget. You'll be surprised how many times you can reuse before discarding.

By tootic from Plainville, CT

Better Living Green Living ReusingJuly 27, 2016
🐛
😷
📓
😎
🌻
Generated 2020-07-24 13:16:12 in 839 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Reusing-Paper-Coffee-Filters-1.html