Prevent Mold on Cheese with Vinegar

contest winner icon

If you are like me and prefer to purchase a "chunk" of cheese instead of already shredded cheese, this tip is for you. This is something I discovered on my own. Years ago, I would wipe down every surface I could get to on our sailboat (inside), before leaving it after a weekend out, with plain old vinegar.

Vinegar retards the growth of mold. When we would return, the boat still was fresh. After finding mold on a chunk of cheese I decided to try a little experiment. I took a paper towel and folded it down to about a 2 x 2 inch square. I then dampened the paper towel with vinegar. Barely damp, just enough that you can tell it is damp. I then wrapped my cheese in the paper towel and placed inside a Ziploc bag and returned to the refrigerator.

I have never had cheese mold on me again and I have not wasted a bite. If your paper towel begins to dry out, all that you need to do is to redampen the towel with vinegar. The small amount that you are using doesn't leave a vinegar taste to the cheese. Buying cheese in "chunks" is cheaper than the already shredded and will save you a bit of money in addition to no more moldy cheese. Cheese will last for weeks stored this way. Hope you will give this a try because it certainly does work.

By banty from Chatom, AL

That is an excellent hint. Cheese of any kind is expensive, too expensive to have to throw out. Thanks!

I'll have to try that. Another way to at least delay the mold forming is to wrap the cheese in wax paper before putting it in a plastic bag. Cheese in plastic bag...no, no.

Great tip , thanks

What a smart idea. My deli wraps the cheese in waxed paper before putting it in the plastic bag but that does not always work--I end up with moldy cheese. I will certainly try this. Thanks!

Great tip...will have to try it.

This absolutely works. In the cheese-making process it is used. When the cheese is cured, they rub the outside each day with a sponge in vinegar water. This creates the protective rind on the outside of a wheel of cheese and prevents molding while the cheese ages.

I wash berries in diluted white vinegar as soon as I get them home - they keep much longer and don't mold. We always have lots of cheese here, so I'm trying this tip next. Thanks!

Does it have to be regular vinegar, or will apple cider vinegar work?

I gonna try the vinegar trick, thanks for posting. -pawPaw

Anonymous

It seems a good idea

I'll try it cause I like all kind of cheeses n buy them on sale too

Thanks for sharing

Anonymous

I did just as you suggested, and it has worked beautifully, no more moldy cheese. Thanks soo much! Jackie Mattingly, Louisville, Ky.