Yo Yo Chicks and Bunnies

These little creatures will bring delight to an Easter basket or table decoration. They are made of fabric circles called yo yos. I just added some pom poms, jiggle eyes, etc. It was a fun project.

Approximate Time: each one took about 30 minutes.

For Chick:

• small yellow print cotton fabric
  • 1 1/2 inch yellow pom pom white for bunny
  • piece of orange foam sheet
  • 2 tiny black beads
  • 8 inch narrow yellow ribbon
  • needle and thread
  • low temp glue gun and sticks
  • compass
  • cardboard

For Bunny:
  • white cotton fabric
  • piece of white foam sheet
  • two small jiggle eyes
  • small pink pom pom
  • 2 small white pom poms
  • piece of bumpy white chenille pipe cleaner
  • Ad
  • 8 inch narrow pastel ribbon
  • small wooden or plastic painted egg
  • needle and thread
  • low temp glue gun and sticks
  • compass
  • cardboard

1. With a compass, make circles on cardboard of the following sizes in inches: 6 1/2, 6, 5 1/2, 5.
  2. Cut circles out and use as templates on fabric cutting one circle of 6 1/2 inches, 2 circles of 6 and 5 1/2 inches, and one of 5 inches. You will have 6 circles.
  3. Sew each circle about 1/4 inch around the edge with a basting stitch, pull up, and gather thus forming a yo yo. Tack thread in the middle to secure gathering. Do this with all circles.

4. Now starting with the 6 1/2 inch yo yo in the middle, stack the other circles over and under the big yo yo (gathered side up) ending with a 5 1/2 inch yo yo on the bottom and the 5 inch yo yo on top. Run a double thread up through the center of the yo yo stack and secure.
  5. Ad

6. Now you are ready to assemble the chick or bunny. Using the photo as a guide assemble the head using the 1 1/2 inch pom pom.
  7. Glue eyes in place and add a diamond shape beak and jagged feet cut from orange foam sheet or white feet for the bunny. Glue the small pink pom pom for the bunny nose. Attach pipe cleaner ears to top of bunny head. Attach head to the top yo yo with glue. Attach small white pom poms for bunny arms and attach painted egg. Tie bows around neck.
  8. By Jan Lee from L.I. NY

Hi, this is Jan Lee. I posted this project & totally forgot the bunny's tail in the instructions. Add a pom pom to the back of the bunny. We can't have the Easter bunny running around with no tail!

Adorable !

These are so cute. I can hardly wait to make some. Thank you!

How adorable they are! Thanks, I love these! Happy Easter

Cute cute he looks like a lil peep! Aww so cute.

These are the cutest little critters! I've never seen a better use for yo-yos! Thank you for the ideas - I'm going to make some of these.

These are so cute. Would you be interested in making some to sell? If so please let me know, email me at precioustaylor53 AT gmail.com I might buy some, my granddaughter & these little neighbor kids would like these. Thanks. Donita.

Mosaic egg decoration.
Homemade Easter Decorations
Crafts Easter DecorationsApril 3, 2009
Crafts Using Yo Yos
Crafts Using Yo Yos
Easter Crafts for Kids
Easter Crafts for Kids
Sweeping Dust Bunnies
Controlling Dust Bunnies
bunny sitting next to basket with plastic Easter eggs
Making Faux Chocolate Bunnies