Crafts Using Yo Yos

Category Sewing
Crafts Using Yo Yos
Those cute little yo yos can be used to make a wide variety of crafts. This is a guide about crafts using yo yos.

This is a wall hanging made for my sewing/computer room.

Approximate Time: off and on for a couple of days

Instructions:

1. I knocked out the window glass with a hammer on the frame, covering with a rag for safety.
  2. I then cleaned the frame and cut the foam core with a utility knife to fit the openings in the frame. Before inserting them, I painted the foam core with a brown color paint I already had on hand. Let dry and then insert in the window frame.

3. I bought a yo-yo maker at a fabric store a few years ago and never really used it for much so decided to put it to work. They come in small, medium, and large. Mine is a medium size. I made 96 yo-yos. Most of them I did while watching TV.
  4. To make without a yo-yo maker, cut 96 - 5-1/2 inch circles or however many you need for your project to fit. Turn the outer edge over and sew a running stitch to gather it up. When you have them all made, glue on the window frame in a pleasing manner and then glue buttons on.

I will have to say, it is much easier if you have a yo-yo maker. They are not too expensive, especially if you use a 40% coupon from the fabric stores. You could just use a piece of scrap wood and do the same thing. Using an old window just adds a bit of extra charm. Another suggestion, this would be unique done in the shape of a Christmas tree with green velveteen.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

This is a guide about making yo yo Christmas trees. Christmas fabric yo yos can be used to make a variety of Christmas tree craft projects.

Making Yo Yo Christmas Trees

Read More... Was this helpful? 2

This guide is about making a yo yo bedspread. Leftover fabric pieces work great to make yo yos for a craft project.

Making a Yo Yo Bedspread

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making fabric pumpkins. If you like crafting with fabric, this is a fun project for the holidays.

Making Fabric Pumpkins

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

These sweet yoyo chicks and bunnies are the perfect non sugary addition to your child's basket. They are also fun and easy to make. This guide contains instructions for making yo yo chicks and bunnies.

A cute chick made from fabric yo-yos.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a Halloween yo yo garland. Yo yos have so many craft uses. Use fall and Halloween fabric to make a decorative yo yo garland.

Making a Halloween Yo Yo Garland

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a Halloween yo yo tree. Make a different twist on the yo yo Christmas tree using yo yos made from Halloween fabrics.

Making a Halloween Yo Yo Tree

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a yo yo keychain. A great way to use up your favorite fabric scraps is making yo yos.

Making a Yo Yo Keychain

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making yo yo pillows. These fun to make gathered fabric circles are a favorite with quilters and other sewing artists. It is a great way to use up fabric scraps.

Yo-Yo Pillow Fabric

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a yo yo turkey. Turn your yo yo addiction into a cute Thanksgiving turkey decoration.

Making a Yo Yo Turkey

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making yo yo barrettes. Yo yo barrettes are an easy craft to make and can be made in a wide variety of colors and configurations.

Making Yo Yo Barrettes

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone have yo-yo patterns they would like to share? I have one for a Christmas Tree and a basket that can be put on towels. I am in the process of attaching yo-yo to form a Christmas tree to finger towels for Christmas presents. But I would be interested in other uses also.

Joan from Maryland

Have you seen the yo-yo maker on "Sewing with Nancy"? ...It's a plastic tool that snaps together on each side of the fabric & holds the yo-yo in place while you sew it. You then unsnap it & draw the stitches tight into the form of a yo-yo. They have several sizes & they are for making uniform sizes of perfect yo-yos.

---> Has anyone used this tool? And how did you like it?

Cyndia: since this is the only way I learned how to make a yo-yo pillow with the clover large round template in my senior center crafts class i really enjoyed doing the project. I also made a pillow for my daughter as a Christmas present. I will say that it takes more than a day to do 100 yo-yo's for the pillow and then we handstitched the pillow and had to handstitch the yo-yo to it. But all in all both pillows turned out very nice.

Of course the more you make the better they look as with any craft project. I also bought the small round template to try. Now I am looking other patterns, I have a pattern for a Christmas Tree and a basket that the class did on a towel before I joined (they did this one by hand not with the template).

Joan from Aberdeen

I have a pattern for a yo-yo Christmas tree which is from Clover Needlecraft. You have to get the yo-yo makers (there are 5 different sizes.) The project # is ct0039.

Here's a pattern for a Christmas Yo-Yo Doily. Hope you can use it!

Hugs & Happiness~~~ Paula

http://www.love  hristmasyoyo.htm

I've used the Clover brand of yo-yo maker. It works great! I have the small and medium sized ones.

Thanks to everyone for so many useful responses and Web sites. I have looked at most of the web sites and have found very useful information.

I made a garland for my tree last year. it took 800 yo-yo's. I also sewed buttons in the center (I collect buttons) so no two were alike. I didn't need anything else on the tree except lights. every body loved it.

I am also making a quilt--takes about 2500 for a queen size bed..

I have made dozens of yo yos and am thinking of sewing them together to make a tablecloth. What is the best type of stitch to use for this project? Or should I attach them to a foundation fabric? Thanks in advance.

By Barbara

When I was a little kid my mother had a throw pillow made out of yo-yos, and the yo-yos were hand sewed together with tiny little stitches. The only backing on it was the fabric cover of the pillow it self. When she got all the yo-yos sewed together she then hand sewed them to the fabric that would be on the back side of the pillow.

http://www.sewm  YoYoProjects.pdf

the link above show's you how to link them together.

Zig

I do not think a solid yoyo tablecloth would work out very well. I have thought of it my self but the fact that the yoyo centers do not allow for a smooth flat surface deters me. I have made a bed spread with them and it is lovely. For a table cloth I would use a back ground fabric and attach yoyo to that as an accent or pattern. Making sure to allow for flat areas for beverages, centerpieces, and such. Certain items just don't sit or work well on a lumpy surface.

I have a lot of yo yos that I made. What can I do with them? I have made barrettes for my granddaughters, but still have many more.

By NanaMay

Nanamay,

There are so many things you can make with Yo-Yo's as I love making them...there are many patterns and booklets online, just do a search for free patterns. I have many books and patterns so if you need more info, please let me know, I could even scan & send you a few patterns. Also at Joanne's they do have regular patterns for animals in the craft sections of pattern books! Hope this helped!

Elaine

I bought a Christmas tree made out of yo yo's at a craft sale. Each yo you was a different size and stacked together with the largest at the bottom and the smallest at the top. It was mounted on a small wooden block and topped with a wood star.

I am looking for a pattern for a wine bottle cover using yo-yos. Does anyone know where I could find one?

By Ginny P. from Fond du Lac, WI

Here is one, it's a pdf file:

http://www.joan  0801/P488337.pdf

or you can see Google's quick view of it here:

http://snurl.com/27yb7w

Would anyone have a pattern to make the butterfly shaped yo yos without having to buy the yo yo maker for it? Thanks.

By Shirlee from TX

Anonymous

I would like one also!

lazidd

Where can I find instructions for yo yos for crafters, like pumpkins and other small things?

By Alta