Crafts Using Yo Yos

Category Sewing
Those cute little yo yos can be used to make a wide variety of crafts. This is a page about crafts using yo yos.

This is a page about making a yo yo turkey. Turn your yo yo addiction into a cute Thanksgiving turkey decoration.

Making a Yo Yo Turkey

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

This is a page about making yo yo Christmas trees. Christmas fabric yo yos can be used to make a variety of Christmas tree craft projects.

Making Yo Yo Christmas Trees

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 3

This is a page about making fabric pumpkins. If you like crafting with fabric, this is a fun project for the holidays.

Making Fabric Pumpkins

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This page is about making a yo yo bedspread. Leftover fabric pieces work great to make yo yos for a craft project.

Making a Yo Yo Bedspread

This is a page about making a Halloween yo yo tree. Make a different twist on the yo yo Christmas tree using yo yos made from Halloween fabrics.

Making a Halloween Yo Yo Tree

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Use leftover yo yos from another project or quickly make a couple of new ones to use in assembling this cute yo yo Christmas angel ornament. A supplies list and instructions can be found on this page.

Yo Yo Christmas Angel Ornament - finished ornament

Pretty leftover fabric can be upcycled into one of these pretty floral brooches. Just make a yoyo and add a decorative button in the center.

Pretty Fabric Brooch

These sweet yoyo chicks and bunnies are the perfect non sugary addition to your child's basket. They are also fun and easy to make.

This page contains instructions for making yo yo chicks and bunnies.

A cute chick made from fabric yo-yos.

This is a page about making a Halloween yo yo garland. Yo yos have so many craft uses. Use fall and Halloween fabric to make a decorative yo yo garland.

Making a Halloween Yo Yo Garland

This is a page about making a yo yo keychain. A great way to use up your favorite fabric scraps is making yo yos.

Making a Yo Yo Keychain

This is a page about making yo yo pillows. These fun to make gathered fabric circles are a favorite with quilters and other sewing artists. It is a great way to use up fabric scraps.

Yo-Yo Pillow Fabric

This is a page about making yo yo barrettes. Yo yo barrettes are an easy craft to make and can be made in a wide variety of colors and configurations.

Making Yo Yo Barrettes

This is a wall hanging made for my sewing/computer room.

Approximate Time: off and on for a couple of days

Instructions:

1. I knocked out the window glass with a hammer on the frame, covering with a rag for safety.
  2. I then cleaned the frame and cut the foam core with a utility knife to fit the openings in the frame. Before inserting them, I painted the foam core with a brown color paint I already had on hand. Let dry and then insert in the window frame.

3. I bought a yo-yo maker at a fabric store a few years ago and never really used it for much so decided to put it to work. They come in small, medium, and large. Mine is a medium size. I made 96 yo-yos. Most of them I did while watching TV.
  4. To make without a yo-yo maker, cut 96 - 5-1/2 inch circles or however many you need for your project to fit. Turn the outer edge over and sew a running stitch to gather it up. When you have them all made, glue on the window frame in a pleasing manner and then glue buttons on.

I will have to say, it is much easier if you have a yo-yo maker. They are not too expensive, especially if you use a 40% coupon from the fabric stores. You could just use a piece of scrap wood and do the same thing. Using an old window just adds a bit of extra charm. Another suggestion, this would be unique done in the shape of a Christmas tree with green velveteen.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Does anyone have yo-yo patterns they would like to share? I have one for a Christmas Tree and a basket that can be put on towels. I am in the process of attaching yo-yo to form a Christmas tree to finger towels for Christmas presents. But I would be interested in other uses also.

Joan from Maryland

Answers

Have you seen the yo-yo maker on "Sewing with Nancy"? ...It's a plastic tool that snaps together on each side of the fabric & holds the yo-yo in place while you sew it. You then unsnap it & draw the stitches tight into the form of a yo-yo. They have several sizes & they are for making uniform sizes of perfect yo-yos.

---> Has anyone used this tool? And how did you like it?

By (Guest Post)

Cyndia: since this is the only way I learned how to make a yo-yo pillow with the clover large round template in my senior center crafts class i really enjoyed doing the project. I also made a pillow for my daughter as a Christmas present. I will say that it takes more than a day to do 100 yo-yo's for the pillow and then we handstitched the pillow and had to handstitch the yo-yo to it.

But all in all both pillows turned out very nice.

Of course the more you make the better they look as with any craft project. I also bought the small round template to try. Now I am looking other patterns, I have a pattern for a Christmas Tree and a basket that the class did on a towel before I joined (they did this one by hand not with the template).
Joan from Aberdeen

By CRAFTYLADY31 (Guest Post)

I have a pattern for a yo-yo Christmas tree which is from Clover Needlecraft. You have to get the yo-yo makers (there are 5 different sizes.) The project # is ct0039.

Here's a pattern for a Christmas Yo-Yo Doily. Hope you can use it!
Hugs & Happiness~~~ Paula
www.lovetosew.com/homespunchristmasyoyo.htm

I've used the Clover brand of yo-yo maker. It works great! I have the small and medium sized ones.

I have made dozens of yo yos and am thinking of sewing them together to make a tablecloth. What is the best type of stitch to use for this project? Or should I attach them to a foundation fabric? Thanks in advance.

By R Barbara

I have a lot of yo yos that I made. What can I do with them? I have made barrettes for my granddaughters, but still have many more.

By NanaMay

I am looking for a pattern for a wine bottle cover using yo-yos. Does anyone know where I could find one?

By Ginny P. from Fond du Lac, WI

Would anyone have a pattern to make the butterfly shaped yo yos without having to buy the yo yo maker for it? Thanks.

By shirlee from TX

Load More

Crafts SewingNovember 3, 2012
📓
🌻
😎
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Crafts-Using-Yo-Yos-1.html