Shabby Chic Yo-Yo Window

This is a wall hanging made for my sewing/computer room.

Approximate Time: off and on for a couple of days

• fabric scraps
  • thread

• needle
  • old window or piece of wood
  • buttons
  • yo-yo maker (opt)
  • bowl or something to help cut a circle of fabric
  • 1/4 inch foam core
  • paint
  • glue gun

Instructions:

1. I knocked out the window glass with a hammer on the frame, covering with a rag for safety.
  2. I then cleaned the frame and cut the foam core with a utility knife to fit the openings in the frame. Before inserting them, I painted the foam core with a brown color paint I already had on hand. Let dry and then insert in the window frame.

3. I bought a yo-yo maker at a fabric store a few years ago and never really used it for much so decided to put it to work. They come in small, medium, and large. Mine is a medium size. I made 96 yo-yos. Most of them I did while watching TV.
  4. To make without a yo-yo maker, cut 96 - 5-1/2 inch circles or however many you need for your project to fit. Turn the outer edge over and sew a running stitch to gather it up. When you have them all made, glue on the window frame in a pleasing manner and then glue buttons on.

I will have to say, it is much easier if you have a yo-yo maker. They are not too expensive, especially if you use a 40% coupon from the fabric stores. You could just use a piece of scrap wood and do the same thing. Using an old window just adds a bit of extra charm. Another suggestion, this would be unique done in the shape of a Christmas tree with green velveteen.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

I really like the idea of doing a Christmas Tree shape using yo-yo's, then embellishing it with odd bits and pieces of beads, chains and "jewels".

Your "lost" window turned out very nice.
Great idea. Thank you for sharing.

Pookarina

It is absolutely adorable. I love it!

I have antique and old buttons, what a great way to display them but I would sew them on to not get glue on them that way if I needed them, they could be snipped off and a new one sewn on in its place.

I think this would look great on a real window!

I have all the different sizes of the yo yo makers and love them. When I get bored with a project I will pick up one of my yo-yo makers and start making yo-yo's. I still don't know what I'm going to make with the yo-yo's that are already made.

Zig

Crafts Home Decor Shabby ChicJanuary 31, 2011
🍀
💘