Making Fabric Pumpkins

Category Decorations
If you like crafting with fabric, this is a fun project for the holidays. This is a guide about making fabric pumpkins.

I like working with yo yos so I looked for some ideas for making pumpkins. I found this project on the internet. They were fun to make and look great.

Source: happierthanapiginmud.blogspot.com

• various fall motif fabrics
  • plastic placemat or paper template
  • pencil/pen
  • polyester fill
  • jute, natural and green
  • scissors
  • needle and embroidery thread; you can use regular sewing thread or quilting thread too

The original project was made using quilting thread to make the yo yos because it is stronger than sewing weight thread. I actually tried the quilting thread and broke it, even though I used a double strand, when tightening the top after stuffing. That is when I switched to embroidery floss and used all 6 strands.

1. Trace around your template on the wrong side of your fabric. My template was approximately 15.5 inches in diameter for the large pumpkin.
  2. Cut out the fabric circle.
  3. Fold under .25 inches around the circle and using 6 strand embroidery floss take larger running stitches in the .25 hem. Leave 2-3 inches of thread free at the beginning of your stitches, so that you can tie the ends of the thread or floss together after stuffing.
  4. Ad

5. Leave the yo yo pumpkin open wide enough to stuff. Add as much stuffing as you can and still be able to pull the gathers together to close up the opening. Pull both ends of the floss and tie tightly. You can mush the filling around to get the shape right.
  6. Wrap the jute loosely around the pumpkin and cut three pieces this length. Make sure you cut it long enough that you have extra after tying. Cut a 4th piece twice this length.
  7. Ad

8. Holding the 4 lengths of jute together tie a knot in the middle of the length of the 3 shorter pieces.
  9. Place the pumpkin on top of the knot. Bring up two pieces of the jute up on opposite sides of the pumpkin and pull to tighten. This makes the ridges. Continue, by bringing up the next two pieces at 90 degrees to the first ones. Knot. Bring up the third set between the first two and knot. Lastly, bring up the last short piece and the longer one and tie.
  10. Ad

11. To make the stem hold the 7 shorter ends together and loosely wrap the longer piece around making a loop. Pull the end though the loop and tighten making a slip knot. Continue in this way to finish the stem.

Here is a fun craft to make this fall. I made a ton of them last year, they are cheap and easy.

Materials

Instructions

1. Place your TP roll in the middle of your fabric, right side down.
  2. Put polyfill around the TP roll to desired "plumpness". Be sure and tuck it under the TP roll so the bottom looks normal.
  3. Gather fabric up around the TP roll and polyfill and tuck it inside the hole of the TP. Push it in as far as it will go.
  4. Wrap separate pieces of floral wire, one at a time around a pencil so they curl like a vine. Tuck on end of each into the TP hole.
  5. Crumple up a small piece of paper bag, then roll it so it resembles a stem. Push into the TP hole.

Tracy from Battle Creek

This craft is very simple! You'll need cloth, twine, cotton (I used the stuffing from an old pillow), a small stick, some leaves, and hot glue. Cut a fair sized bit of cloth, fold it in half and glue the edges to make a pocket.

Videos

I like working with yo yos so decided to make some yo yo pumpkins. They were fun to make and look great. View the full project here: Large Yo Yo Fabric Pumpkins