Making a barrette with colorful yo yos and buttons.
Approximate Time: The yo yos themselves take about 4 minutes to make. Each barrette takes approximately 5-7 minutes.
- fabric yo yos, various sizes
- barrette backs, 2 inch size
- hot glue gun
- optional, leather thimble (sewing through all the layers can be a bit tough)
You will need at least two sizes of yo yos. I am working on another project using yo yos so we were able to pirate some for this craft. We used large, medium, and small in various combinations. Be creative and design your own style.
For tips on making yo yos click here: Making Fabric Yo Yos
The purple and pink batik barrette was made as follows:
- Place a button on a small yo yo and sew between the edge and the center gathering hole, to the right. Sew through all thicknesses.
- Repeat this step to the left side of the center.
- Center you last small yo yo over the the center hole and sew the button on through all thicknesses.
- To complete this barrette, simply glue the large yo yo to the barrette and you are done.
Large blue/green batik with medium purple yo yo:
- We sewed a medium yo yo and button on to a large one.
- For a stylized leaf, we added a small darker green batik yo yo to the underside, peaking out. This one we glued onto the large yo yo so that no stitching would show.
- Glue to barrette.
Large purple with small blue batik yo yo:
- For the final barrette, we sewed a button and small yo yo to a large one, and again added the leaf. (See photo of all three barrettes for this one.)
- Complete again, by gluing to the barrette.
Note: You could skip the sewing part and glue button to yo yos and yo yos to themselves, but we liked the look of the sewn buttons, and you use less glue.
By R Barbara