Inexpensive Car Alarm

What can I do for a car alarm on a very tight budget?

BW from Fort Wayne, IN

My husband got inexpensive alarms at the hardware store that shriek when a door is opened & put them on our truck doors - so if anyone wanted to get inside - the alarm would shriek. You just stick them on.

I once tied the courtesy dome lights to the cars horn. When a door was opened, the horn would sound. I then installed a keyed switch on the fender and used the key to turn the alarm on and off. The only drawback to this system is that as soon as the door is closed the horn ceases to sound. Certainly with a trip to the electronics store, an electrically operated switch or solid state relay could be purchased that would remain closed even if the door to the car is closed after gaining entry, and can still be operated with the keyed switch. The only change would be that a seperate feed from the battery to the horn would have to be installed and the switch would probably have to make and break that battery circuit. Of course an inline fuse would have to be used to protect the electronic system.

If you know how... (or have someone show you)

1. You can remove the converter

2. Take the cable off the battery

3. Remove a sparkplug

These are good ideas for antitheft. Does anyone have any inexpensive ideas if my worst concern is

damage to a car? Such as glass breakage, bullet holes, hit & run accident while it's parked, etc.

Holy Cow.. where do you live where you have concerns such as these? The only thing I would suggest is to get Full Coverage Insurance on your car, up your Medical Insurance & Home/Renters Insurance Policy. I'm not aware of anything that will prevent bullet holes from penetrating the exterior of a car. As far as hit and run? hopefully where ever the accident happened there will be a surveillance camera. Good Luck on your search though.

Consumer Advice Cars AdviceNovember 1, 2006
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
Remote Car Alarm
Using a Remote Car Alarm
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver, For Sale sign in Window of Used Car
Buying a Cheap Car for First Time Driver
Home Security Without an Alarm System
Home Security Without an Alarm System
🎄
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 23, 2016 at 4:44:46 PM on 10.0.1.100 in 950 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.