Using a Remote Car Alarm

Remote Car Alarm
All newer cars come with a remote door opener that also sets the car alarm. This is a guide about using a remote car alarm.

I have a pal who lives on the same property with her brother, but in separate households. Recently her brother had a medical condition that put him in the hospital. He had a hard time making it to the telephone to call for his sister for help. They've since arranged for him to carry his car alarm remote with him at all times, so he can have the alarm to his vehicle go off, in case he has anymore problems due to his bad health at any time of the day or night.

When she hears his vehicle's car alarm going off, she'll know he's unable to get to the phone and go to help. This will work as long as he's able to hold the remote up to a window, for view of the vehicle.

By Terri from NV

This request has to do with my car alarm. The car is a 1999 Volvo S80 and all of a sudden the alarm gets activated most of the time at the end of a trip after I lock the car. Sometimes it starts beeping in the middle of the night and I am sure it disturbs my neighbors, who so far, have not complained, bless their hearts. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me a clue about how to handle this problem before taking it in for service.

By Carmelinda

Answers

I don't have a solution for your problem, but I think I have ghosts in my apartment. All of sudden my desk chair has started to lower itself, and I have a musical Elvis mug that is supposed to play when picked up, but it doesn't always do that, however, when it is sitting in the china cabinet, it will start playing all by itself.

Anonymous

You need to take it in to service for a minor adjustment to tweak the calibration of the alarm unless you know someone personally who understands the electronics of today's cars (including a decade ago car like yours and mine) that can do it for free. Have them double check your remote control while you're at it. No big deal and will simply cost some moolah you weren't expecting to spend just like what happens with all sorts of electric/electronic items. :-(

I would have it disconneted. It is an older car and not worth stealing any more. The cost might not be worth it to have it repaired or replaced.

Anonymous

xintexas, I just want you to know that it doesn't matter how old a car is and what it's value is because there is a huge market out there for stealing cars for parts and especially when they are older models! Volvo's are really good cars and can be on the road for decades if maintained so why not pay some money for an alarm that will make it less likely to be stolen? Why take the chance and have to purchase a new car?

I've had just a little 2000 Hyandai Elantra Wagon since it was new that's only worth a blue book price of a couple thousand dollars now but I've had three different mechanics tell me to hold on to her because she still has a 'minimum' of a decade of major repair free years on the road still. You can bet your bippy that I would pay to have the alarm fixed if I needed to!

Carmelinda, I still say just have it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. ;-)

Hi there,

This might sound silly, but anyway. Check for a fly or any other flying insect that might be locked in the car. That is now if the car is fitted with a movement censor, this happened to me last week.

Regards,

Andries

South-Africa