My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

My Frugal Life: Every Penny Counts

Being a single mom, being frugal is not just a term, it's a way of life. My Frugal LifeTo save money on groceries, I emailed all the companies I could think of and asked to be put on their mailing list. Almost immediately I started receiving coupons and samples.

I then found two sites called mommysavesbig.com and freestufftimes.com, which post freebies on a constant basis. Almost every day, I receive free samples in the mail. Most also include really great coupons. The samples I don't use I trade with a friend for something they might not use.

For entertainment I made a list of restaurants that have kids eat free nights. That way we eat out for half the cost.

I trade babysitting with another single mom in my area twice a month. I buy movies passes at AAA, which cost only $5.00 each. That way I have an inexpensive but enjoyable night out.

I wait until the season ends to buy clothes. The clearance rack is always a wonderful place to go. I've gotten shirts that would normally cost $50.00 for just $5.00. The same goes with shoes. When the season ends, stores mark down clothes/shoes/accessories for a fraction of the original cost. I start my Christmas shopping in June. I shop the end caps of major retail stores and get toys for over half of the original cost. I put something away each week so that by the time Christmas does get here, I'm not scrambling around trying to come up with money. Buying holiday decorations the week after the holiday is also another habit that's good to get into. You can get amazing bargains for next year's holiday.

Every penny counts.

Lynne from Lynn, MA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Thanks, I am going to try these places, maybe I can get a bite or two. And what is AAA, the only thing I could think of for AAA is triple A auto insurance.