Grannie's Peach Dumplings

Grannie made the most fantastic dumplings I've ever eaten and after she passed on I got her recipes and this is one that I've revised or updated. It's my favorite too, so hope you enjoy it.

• 1/2 cup Oleo (margarine)*
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 cups self rising flour
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 5 cups peeled, pitted and chopped fresh peaches (about 2-1/2 lbs.) or frozen unsweetened peach slices, thawed and chopped
  • 1/2 tsp.ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • Vanilla ice cream (or your choice)

*I use butter for a richer flavor

Place butter in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish (3-qt. rectangular) and set dish in a 350 degree F oven to melt butter, about 5 to 8 minutes. Watch carefully and don't let butter (margarine) over-brown. Remove dish from oven and set aside.

For syrup: Combine 2 cups sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; bring to boiling and boil uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cover and keep warm.

For dough: Place self-rising flour in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add milk all at once. Stir just until moistened. Knead dough on lightly floured large piece of waxed paper for about 12 strokes, or until nearly smooth. Lightly sprinkle dough with flour. Cover with another large piece of waxed paper. Roll out dough to about a 12x10-inch rectangle {about 1/4-inch thick} Remove the top piece of waxed paper.

For Filling: In a large bowl, toss together the peaches, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon 3 cups of the peaches on top of the melted butter in the baking dish, spreading evenly to form a single layer.Spread the remaining 2 cups of peaches evenly over the dough rectangle. Roll dough into a spiral, starting from a long side. Pinch seam to seal. Cut into twelve 1-inch thick rolls. Arrange the rolls, cut side down, over the peaches in the baking dish. Carefully pour syrup around rolls. {This will have the appearance of too much syrup, but the rolls will absorb the liquid during baking}.

Bake in the 350 degree F oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden. Cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes. Serve warm in dessert dishes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or your choice)

Makes about 12 dumplings

By Connie from Liberty, MO

You lost me on "roll dough into a spiral". I'm not sure what that means. This sounds like a good dessert.

I think Connie means to do the dough like a cinnamon roll and cut the dough into rolls for the top.pouring the syrup over the circles? Not sure, help us out here Connie.

Peach Dumpling Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts Fruit DessertsSeptember 16, 2008
Square of peach cobbler on a plate with whipped cream on the side.
Peach Cobbler Recipes
Someone peeling a a peach.
Peeling Peaches
Peach pits and fruit on white background.
Growing Peach Trees from Pits
Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumplings Recipes