Peach Dumpling Recipes

A delicious way to use up ripe peaches. This page contains peach dumpling recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

Grannie made the most fantastic dumplings I've ever eaten and after she passed on I got her recipes and this is one that I've revised or updated. It's my favorite too, so hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients

*I use butter for a richer flavor

Directions

Place butter in a 13x9x2 inch baking dish (3-qt. rectangular) and set dish in a 350 degree F oven to melt butter, about 5 to 8 minutes. Watch carefully and don't let butter (margarine) over-brown. Remove dish from oven and set aside.

For syrup: Combine 2 cups sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved; bring to boiling and boil uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cover and keep warm.

For dough: Place self-rising flour in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are the size of small peas. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add milk all at once. Stir just until moistened. Knead dough on lightly floured large piece of waxed paper for about 12 strokes, or until nearly smooth. Lightly sprinkle dough with flour. Cover with another large piece of waxed paper. Roll out dough to about a 12x10-inch rectangle {about 1/4-inch thick} Remove the top piece of waxed paper.

For Filling: In a large bowl, toss together the peaches, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon 3 cups of the peaches on top of the melted butter in the baking dish, spreading evenly to form a single layer.Spread the remaining 2 cups of peaches evenly over the dough rectangle. Roll dough into a spiral, starting from a long side. Pinch seam to seal. Cut into twelve 1-inch thick rolls. Arrange the rolls, cut side down, over the peaches in the baking dish. Carefully pour syrup around rolls. {This will have the appearance of too much syrup, but the rolls will absorb the liquid during baking}.

Bake in the 350 degree F oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden. Cool on a wire rack for about 30 minutes. Serve warm in dessert dishes with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (or your choice)

Makes about 12 dumplings

By Connie from Liberty, MO

This is a great peach-lover's dessert!

• 3 cup fresh sliced peaches
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 cup pancake mix
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp. melted or liquid shortening

Directions:

Combine peaches, water, white sugar, and lemon juice in a 3-4 qt. saucepan. Bring to a boil.

Combine remaining ingredients and stir lightly just to mix.

Drop batter from tablespoon on hot peach mixture. Reduce heat; cover tightly and cook 15 minutes without lifting cover.

Serve with plain cream or peach or vanilla ice cream.

Servings: 6-10
Prep Time: 15-20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes

By Robin from Washington, IA

Does anyone have a recipe for peach dumplings that you make on the stove? Growing up in the deep south, we had a neighbor who made the most awesome peach dumplings on her stove. I don't remember much except that I think she used canned peaches and dropped canned biscuits into the boiling peaches on the stove. I remember her sharing this with us when we were kids and would love to make it for my kids! Thanks!

Maureen

This sounds like something my grandmother made.

You can actually substitute many kinds of fruit. She

always used blueberries and called it Blueberry Slump. Canned or fresh fruit is acceptable.

If using canned peaches, you want to make sure there is enough juice or liquid to cover the fruit and

bring to a boil in a sauacepan. You can always add a little sugar and water to the fruit. You want to do this if using fresh fruit. Next you make up the recipe for dumplings on the box of bisquick or Jiffy mix. When the fruit is boiling, just spoon out the dough on top of the fruit. Cover for 10 minutes or unitl the dumpling is light and fluffy. It looks and tastes exactly like a fruit dumpling. It is delicious!

The whole process takes about 15 min. Good Luck.

Brenda

i also grew up in the south having peach dumplings. matter of fact i'm only seventeen and none of my friends have ever heard of this recipe!!! i could not believe it. but all you have to do is boil 3 cans of peaches, heavy syrup, cup of sugar, and half a stick of margerine. stir in pieces of canned biscuits and cook on low heat for about 30 minutes stirring often to avoid sticking. add cinnamon to taste. i hope you enjoy!

I have a recipe for peach dumplings and I am still trying to find out where I put it. I do use canned peaches, brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and stir it in a medium saucepan, then I add my homemade dumplings. The problem is I do not remember the measurements. Sorry. I guess it all depends on how sweet you want it and how much of it you are going to make.

I too grew up with a grandmother who made this great treat for us when we were kids.

Thanks for the recipes posted

Maureen..... Here's a recipe for over the stove Peach Dumplings...

Dumplings are spooned onto boiling peaches in syrup.

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup sugar

1 tablespoon butter

2 cups hot water

2 to 3 cups fresh sliced peaches, or frozen thawed

1 cup flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon sugar, optional

1/2 milk or cream, more or less

cinnamon sugar, optional

PREPARATION:

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup sugar, butter, and hot water. Add peaches and bring to a boil. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon of sugar, if using; stir in milk or cream to form a stiff batter.

Drop large spoonfuls of batter onto the boiling fruit. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes. Spoon out dumplings and fruit into bowl. If desired, sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar and serve with cream or ice cream. Serves 4 to 6.

I'm making boysenberry dumplings right now & ran the sight for my recipe for Old Fashioned Spicy Brown Sugar Dumplings in Peaches, saw your question & found my recipe.

3 C. fresh sliced Peaches Or canned

2 C. Water

1 C. Sugar (less if peaches are in syrup)?

Combine first 3 ingredients in 3 qt saucepan. Bring to a boil

1 C. Bisquick mix

1/4 C. firmly packed brn sugar

1/2 C. milk

2 Tablespoons melted or liquid shortening

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

combine ingredients, stirring lightly. Drop batter from tablespoon on hot peach mixure. Reduce heat, cover tightly with lid, cook 15 min without lifting cover. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.Serves 6 to 8

I was so glad to find this page. I've been looking for a recipe for years for peach dumplings that are made on the stove top. I grew up in the south and my grandmother also made these when I was very young. It was always one of my favorites. Thanks to all of you who have posted the recipes!

I'm glad you asked for this. I used to have the most wonderful recipe and still haven't found it...it used pancake mix but, other than that, was similar. These sound great but will have to do. I wish I hadn't lost my old one.

I use 2 big cans of sliced cling peaches in heavy syrup, 2 cups of water, add some sugar to taste, nutmeg, cinnamon, let simmer. For the dumplings, in a big bowl, I use 2 cups of self rising flour, about a heaping table spoon of butter flavored Crisco, you can add more nutmeg and cinnamon to taste if you like. Mash it up until it looks like a cornmeal consistency, it's okay if it's a little lumpy, add 1 cup cold milk, stir until it's a thick dough, it will be sticky. Bring peaches to a boil, drop dough by spoonfuls until all is gone, do not stir! Cover and reduce heat to a light simmer and let steam for about 10 minutes. Dumplings will be sweet and doughy on the outside and flaky in the middle. I learned this recipe growing up in North Carolina by my father who was raised in Tennessee :) Hope You Enjoy !

I use 2 big cans of sliced cling peaches in heavy syrup, 2 cups of water, add some sugar to taste, nutmeg, cinnamon, let simmer... For the dumplings, in a big bowl, i use 2 cups of self rising flour, about a heaping table spoon of butter flavored crisco, you can add more nutmeg and cinnamon to taste if you like, mash it up till it looks like a cornmeal consistency, its ok if its a little lumpy... add 1 cup cold milk, stir till its a thick dough, it will be sticky... Bring peaches to a boil, drop dough by spoonfuls till all is gone, do not stir ! Cover and reduce heat to a light simmer and let steam for about 10 mins... Dumplings will be sweet and doughy on the outside and flaky in the middle.. I learned this recipe growing up in NOrth Carolina by my Father who was raised in Tenn.. :) Hope You Enjoy ! :o)

Going to try the peach dumpling tomorrow.