Getting Rid of a Black Snake in Duct Work

When I walked into our kitchen this morning, there was a 3-ft black snake on the floor. I tried to chase it out the door, but it slithered down the register into the duct work. Now it is in the ducts. I closed all the registers, but can't leave them closed forever. What can I do? Thanks.

By Justjuan from St. Louis, MO

If this is not a poisonous snake, as in no rattles, not a wide, thick bodied, cottonmouth, etc., And it has a long, slender body, you could try taping down the open end of a mesh bag, like a large potato or onion bag, over the whole opening of just one register, prop open the other end first, and with that one register open, (making sure the mesh is tight enough to keep in the snake), start making vibrations from the other end of the house toward the one register that is open.

Snakes will feel the vibrations, but don't hear you, so give that a try, but, like i said, only if you are confident it isn't a poisonous snake. I suggested the mesh bag, but if that doesn't work you can try a dark trash bag. It may want to "hide", (the dark bag) or "escape" (the mesh bag).

I had a snake in my house that hid under my washer. I placed duct tape cut into 12" length's sticky side up against the wall board near washer. Next time I did laundry, snake came out and got wrapped up in duct tape. Worked great! If I were you, I would place duct tape around opening in register's. Sticky side up! Turn your heat up high, and wait. Good luck!!

Shadablue and LJF: Thank you for your answers. I greatly appreciate them. Going to give them a try.

Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesJuly 22, 2009
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Making a Duct Tape Bow
Making a Duct Tape Bow
duct tape flip flops
Making Duct Tape Flip Flops