Cigarette Smoke Stains on Cabinets

I have semi gloss, white painted, birch kitchen cabinets that have started to yellow from cigarette smoke. I am wondering how to clean it without creating a dull effect.

Mary Wallace from Mendenhall, MS

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Jennifer Nelson 1 314 12/01/2005

Mr. Clean sponges will take off the stains (from painted surfaces) .. and I imagine something like turtle wax would restore the shine.

The sponges are for all surface dirt on woodwork, they are great!

Alexandria, VA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Sarah Massey 4 12/01/2005

i have used clorox clean up on walls and cabinets to remove nicotine stains.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Kelly 6 25 12/02/2005

I have used Scrubbing Bubbles on white cabinets at my mother's house. You can actually see the bubbles lifting the stains off. It's really great!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Octopus (Guest Post) 08/20/2006

Hard to rid your items of this nasty yellow staining.
Use Bleach and hot water with a sponge and scrub like there is no tomorrow!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Trisha M MacIntyre 1 06/16/2007

Wash cabinets with OXYCLEAN, it will not only take the yellowing stains off but will also reduce the odor...let me know how you make out...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By donsgirl2nbnet.nb.ca (Guest Post) 01/21/2008

We have white birch and nothing was put on them when they were made and the oil from hands and cooking has made a real mess of my cabinets. Would like to know of something to take it off, and put something on to stop this, as i paid a lot to have them made and they look so bad.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No