Browsing: Homemade Saline Nasal Spray

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Saline Nasal Spray

Saline spray is a great remedy for allergies or a stuffy nose. You can buy it at the store or make your own solution. This is a guide about homemade saline nasal spray.

Saline Nose dropper.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 4, 2004 Flag

Don't go out and buy the OTC drops for plugged noses! Use things you have a home. This recipe works for all ages, my infant benefited a lot from it!

Take 1 level tsp. salt to 1 cup boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes, then cool off. My infant had a hard time breathing while nursing, so I put 2 drops in each nostril before nursing and at night.

By Tracy

July 24, 2010 Flag

I am asthmatic and I use saline water. Do I need to get it from the chemist or can I use one of your recipes? Thanks for any help you can give me. I mix this with Ventolin solution.

By Mary Kathleen

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I was going to say the same thing as fatboyslimsmom. I too have to use solutions for breathing using a nebulizer and would never dream of taking the chance of a lung infection from a non-sterile product and also what if you accidentally did not mix the exact correct amounts. :-( I know all too well how expensive these medicines are, but please be safe and get them from your chemist. Saving a bit of money is not worth risking a long stint in the hospital or possible death!

Best Answer

If you use unsterile saline solutions you risk obtaining a bacterial infection or it can even worsen your asthma if it is caused by allergens. The sterile bottles of saline really are not that expensive either for the amount of use they get. Take care.

Home-made saline solution is made by mixing 1 teaspoon of salt with 1 quart of boiled distilled water.

Sterile solutions must be used when mixing with meds. Ask if your medication can be changed to the NO MIXING kind. My grandaughter's was the mix kind and I told them how expensive it was and they changed the format. NOT A PROBLEM.

Making home made saline solution for nasal washes also must follow a hygiene technique. It is better to mix on a daily use, rather than a quart a time, which then will be tossed. I use 1/4 tsp to 1/3 cup water, I just 'sniff' from my hand. Many techniques are taught from your allergist to which works the best and is the easiest for you. For away from home, I buy the generic bottle over the counter. Remember to clean that tip as well and toss after a respectable time due to contamination.

Daily use without illness/colds/sinus can go longer, remember the germs from your illness will stay on your bottle.

Read More Answers...

February 1, 2011 Flag

I checked with an experienced pharmacist on the correct ratio/proportions necessary to make a nasal saline 0.9% isotonic solution. (Isotonic means "same as body" saline levels.) Use 250 ml (1 cup) of distilled water (or purified by boiling 5 minutes then cooled). To this, add 1/3 or 2.25 grams of non-iodized canning or pickling salt.

Note: some sites say anywhere from 1/4 to 1 tsp. The correct proportion to achieve 0.9% is exactly 1/3 teaspoon.

Store in a sealed/covered container for up to 5 days. Use the solution as close to body temperature as possible for better absorption.

By Rholees

June 17, 2014 Flag

I have been having problems with breathing. My nose seems to be stuffed pretty much from the inside, but when I blow my nose, there is nothing there, no mucus, just something I could not detect. My nose remains blocked at all times and it makes me desperate during the day and also during the night. Sleeping becomes a problem since I can't breathe. The chemical solution given by doctors, helps, but since I need it several times a day, I did not want to bother any doctor for more. So I wanted to make my own nasal drops at home. The pure saline doesn't help, so I mixed 1 bottle of chemical nasal drops with 6 bottles of self made saline solution. And that helps. The saline solution itself doesn't help me breathing again. It perhaps clears the nose inside for a moment, but it could not enable me to breathe normally.

So my question is: is there a saline solution which works in my case? Which means without the use of the chemical nasal drops from the doctor. Any help please?

By Ghanshyaam R. from Paramaribo, Suriname

See your physician you could have an obstruction.

You could have a sinus infection, in which case you need antibiotics or steroids. If drops and sprays aren't working then something is wrong.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesAugust 15, 2013
Woman using nasal spray.
Using Nasal Spray
Multidirectional Spray Bottle
Making a Multidirectional Spray Bottle
Spray bottle of perfume.
Repairing A Perfume Spray Nozzle
Hair Spray Nozzle
Unclogging Hair Spray Nozzle
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 4:57:08 PM on 10.0.2.7 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.