Homemade Saline Nasal Spray

Saline spray is a great remedy for allergies or a stuffy nose. You can buy it at the store or make your own solution. This is a guide about homemade saline nasal spray.

Saline Nose dropper.
Filter Sort

Tip: Homemade Saline Drops

Don't go out and buy the OTC drops for plugged noses! Use things you have a home. This recipe works for all ages, my infant benefited a lot from it!

Take 1 level tsp. salt to 1 cup boiling water. Boil for 10 minutes, then cool off. My infant had a hard time breathing while nursing, so I put 2 drops in each nostril before nursing and at night.

By Tracy

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Saline Solution for Asthma

By Mary Kathleen 1

I am asthmatic and I use saline water. Do I need to get it from the chemist or can I use one of your recipes? Thanks for any help you can give me. I mix this with Ventolin solution.

By Mary Kathleen

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

thr522587 Flag

I was going to say the same thing as fatboyslimsmom. I too have to use solutions for breathing using a nebulizer and would never dream of taking the chance of a lung infection from a non-sterile product and also what if you accidentally did not mix the exact correct amounts. :-( I know all too well how expensive these medicines are, but please be safe and get them from your chemist. Saving a bit of money is not worth risking a long stint in the hospital or possible death!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By susan 33 441 Flag

If you use unsterile saline solutions you risk obtaining a bacterial infection or it can even worsen your asthma if it is caused by allergens. The sterile bottles of saline really are not that expensive either for the amount of use they get. Take care.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Make Your Own Saline Solution

By Rholees 1 1

I checked with an experienced pharmacist on the correct ratio/proportions necessary to make a nasal saline 0.9% isotonic solution. (Isotonic means "same as body" saline levels.) Use 250 ml (1 cup) of distilled water (or purified by boiling 5 minutes then cooled). To this, add 1/3 or 2.25 grams of non-iodized canning or pickling salt.

Note: some sites say anywhere from 1/4 to 1 tsp. The correct proportion to achieve 0.9% is exactly 1/3 teaspoon.

Store in a sealed/covered container for up to 5 days. Use the solution as close to body temperature as possible for better absorption.

By Rholees

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Nasal Drops or Spray for Stuffy Nose

I have been having problems with breathing. My nose seems to be stuffed pretty much from the inside, but when I blow my nose, there is nothing there, no mucus, just something I could not detect. My nose remains blocked at all times and it makes me desperate during the day and also during the night. Sleeping becomes a problem since I can't breathe. The chemical solution given by doctors, helps, but since I need it several times a day, I did not want to bother any doctor for more. So I wanted to make my own nasal drops at home. The pure saline doesn't help, so I mixed 1 bottle of chemical nasal drops with 6 bottles of self made saline solution. And that helps. The saline solution itself doesn't help me breathing again. It perhaps clears the nose inside for a moment, but it could not enable me to breathe normally.

So my question is: is there a saline solution which works in my case? Which means without the use of the chemical nasal drops from the doctor. Any help please?

By Ghanshyaam R. from Paramaribo, Suriname

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

You could have a sinus infection, in which case you need antibiotics or steroids. If drops and sprays aren't working then something is wrong.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Health & Beauty Home RemediesAugust 15, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Woman using nasal spray.
Using Nasal Spray
Homemade Decongestant Recipes
Homemade Decongestant Recipes
Spray bottle of perfume.
Repairing A Perfume Spray Nozzle
Windshield wiper tip on windshield
Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 1:35:48 PM on 10.0.0.129 in 673 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings