Craft Project: Silver Spoon Windchimes

You can use old silver spoons from yard sales and thrift shops to make a windchimes with a beautiful sound.

Approximate Time: 2-3 hours

Finished Wind Chimes

Silver Spoon Windchimes Supplies

Instructions:

Flatten the spoons by hammering them against something sturdy like a stone walkway or concrete drive.

Cut the loops of the whisk and use the pliers to curve the outwards and up, with a little loop on the end.

Cut 5 pieces of wire into about 9" to 12" long.

For each spoon, wrap wire tightly around the bottom of the handle and twist to secure.

Wrap the wire loosely around the handle and finish with a loop at the top.

Cut the string into two 8" lengths and 3 9 1/2" lengths.

Attach the string to the whisk "arms", leaving an empty arm in between spoons.

You can add beads or decorative stones wrapped in wire on the empty arms.

Another way: Cut jut 2 loops on the whisk to hold the spoons, with the fifth spoon tied into the center.

I saw this project years ago in a magazine in a crowded doctor's office and didn't feel comfortable ripping the page out. (Might have been different had I been the only one in the waiting room.) I kept an image of those chimes in mind, although who knows how much that image and the magazine picture have in common by now? I got the idea for using the whisk from Mark Montano, a designer on TLC's "While You Were Out."

By the way, the spoons make a lovely bell-like sound when they hit each other.

By Pugi from Ingram, TX

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

This is a project I plan on trying. Yard sales have just started back in my area and I will be on the lookout for silverware to make one or more of these. Thanks for sharing. I do think I will hang the spoons/forks with fishing line or something that will weather better than yarn or string. Guess where the windchime is hung will have a lot to do with how well the yarn/string would hold up!

I've always been afraid to try this one without directions, thanks for posting it!

Thanks for wonderful idea of using the whisk. I've had garage sale gold plated cutlery already flattened & drilled, ready to go since last summer! I think I'll use fishing line too or jewellery wire, if it's thin enough.

It's beautiful! Thank you! We have old spoons from grandmothers and further back that have no mates. What a lovely gift idea for the grandchildren and great grandchildren as a memento. Blessings!

Great idea thanks for the information. I will be looking for yard sales.

That's really interesting with the wire whisk, & SO EASY! I have a wind chime I got at a flea around 15 yrs ago,but the guy drilled holes in the handles to hang them. Also, he would buy collector plates (you can find them cheap at goodwill) that have holes around the edges & hang the silver from that. Very pretty, but yours is pretty too & easier!

I love this method to make a flatware wind-chime because no drilling is involved.

Comment

Finished Wind Chimes
Silverware Wind Chimes
Crafts Garden & Yard WindchimesMarch 6, 2010
silver tea pot
Determining Silver Plate vs. Sterling Silver
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
coke bottle spoon rest
Spoon Rest Ideas
Making a Pickle Fork
Making a Pickle Fork
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 26, 2016 at 2:12:43 PM on 10.0.1.142 in 343 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.