AdviceFood Tips

Substitute for a Baster

Does anyone have a substitute for using a basting syringe? I am not sure what's the proper name but its similar to a large eye dropper and is used for squeezing juice over meat while baking. I have bought several but the little ball keeps coming off. Is there something else I can use?

Onesummer

I have always just used a big spoon. I tip the pan to collect the juices on one side, and then spoon them up. I then pour the juices back over the meat. It's a little harder to do it this way, but it works in a pinch.

I use a 60cc syringe, we use them in the hospital for flushing feeding tubes. We had one that had been opened but not used and they let me have it, even has its own little container with a lid that has a hole in the center that the syringe fits down into. Handy dandy little item!!

I switched to basting with a brush-its so much easier

I always remove the ball for cleaning-it should slip right back on. I use the ones that are all plastic tube/rubber bulb.

I've always used a large spoon or ladel.

If you know anyone that sells Pampered Chef products, there baster is made really well and I have never had any problems. I take the bulb off and wash it all the time and it goes right back on without any problems.

My grandmother always used one from the nursing home....could have been for flushing feeding tubes, or other things....we never had the stomach to ask! I use the injector or the plastic tube with rubber pump..just make sure it is on tight. I've had mine for 6 years and always put it in the dishwasher.

You can use a large spoon, a cup, ladle....basically anything that you can dip up the juices with and pour back over the meat.