Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Removing Grease Build Up On Cupboards

What can I use to clean the grease build up on the front of my microwave and cupboards? I've used different cleaners and they make everything gooey and sticky. Help!

Marsha from NE

By

By Pat08/26/2008

Use a microfiber cloth and warm water with a dash of vinegar.

By Cora [1]08/25/2008

I used a mixture of Dawn and warm water, and sprinkled a little baking soda on the rag before wiping the cabinet doors.
It worked well for me.

By Guest (Guest Post)08/22/2008

Ammonia/water solution. Ammonia cuts grease like nothing else. Just be careful of the fumes, making sure you put enough water into the solution.

By Kim Churchman [3]08/21/2008

What you have that makes it sticky is partial removal. What worked for me was 409 and a green scrubby pad, the felt-like stuff that scours pots that you can't use steel wool on. Good luck! Good for you for tackling that long-time mess!

By Anonymous [848]08/21/2008

'Lysol' '"foaming"' bathroom spray cleaner ... I know this sounds weird and is not exactly ecologically friendly but it cuts through built up grease when most other cleansers and elbow grease won't ...

I remember an apartment I moved in to when I was young that had disgusting grease buildup on the appliances and cabinets (the owner didn't clean it up) and nothing seemed to work ... I tried the Lysol Foaming and it worked great !!! Spray it on, let it sit for a little bit and then scrub with a plastic dish scrubber ... If the cabinets are painted, use a damp cloth instead ...

Because chemicals are not good for anyone be sure to have the windows open ...

By Sandi [390]08/21/2008

Being an ex house painter, I got to use a lot of TSP...trisodiumphosphate. It's powdered and you mix it with water. It takes grease and esp' nicotine off walls and cabinets before painting. Make sure the directions say you can use it on vinyl or acrylic paint tho. Or, you might want to try dawn straight on a wet sponge. That stuff is amazing.

By (Guest Post)08/20/2008

I found a product called Cabinet Magic that I've used for years. It's amazing stuff. Simply spray it on, wait a minute and wipe off the grunge. The heavier dirt might require a bit of 'elbow grease' and a second spray and wipe, but it's the easiest thing I've found to make cabinets look like new. It even removed paint spatters from one cabinet door! I found the product at our local Ace Hardware. Good luck and happy cleaning!

By (Guest Post)08/20/2008

Try using dishwashing soap and some vinegar. I'm always amazed at the dirt it gets up, and it's more eco-conscious then all those harsh chemicals.

By Judi [17]08/20/2008

I had the same problem and used comet, 409, vinegar,...the list goes on and on. I finally tried a magic eraser and it just rolled right off.