Skewers to Keep Squirrels Out of Planting Containers

During the summer, I plant vegetables in containers and keep them on my deck. In the past, I've had a great deal of difficulty keeping the squirrels from digging up my new sprouts. A friend gave me an idea which has worked well. What you do is get a package of bamboo skewers, which usually runs about a dollar, and stick the skewers into the soil, with the points sticking up out of the soil and over the edge of the pot. This deters the squirrels from climbing into the pots to dig up the seedlings. It's worked very well, no squirrels have been injured, and my vegetables are allowed to flourish.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

What a great idea. I just put four newly started avacado trees on my porch banister to enjoy the sun. The first day I went out, two were uprooted--I quickly replanted them. The next day, the pits and stems were eaten. I never thought about squirrels liking avacado pits. They left a few chewed chards in the pot for me.

Another good idea is to use moth crystals to keep away unwanted animals, including the neighbours cat. Just place them around your garden or pots, base of trees and you won't have anymore issues. I had to use this method to keep porcupines out of my trees.

I am going to try this right now. I planted 6 beautiful flower pots and came home from work today and they were all dug up. It is the same squirrel- we have been battling for 2 years now. He plants his peanuts and then digs them up and vice versa. Thank you for the suggestion.

Tried this today for my potted tulips ! Thanks so much ! I loved it that I already had a package of $0.97 skewers !

I'm going to try the crushed peppers fist if that doesn't work on the squirrels then I'll try the bamboo spikes !! I plant my vegetables every spring but the squirrels dig and there goes my starts I lost 4 large planters of lettuce and two tomato's last year now I have MORE squirrels I haven't even been able to plant they are digging in my dirt I just was getting ready to plant in !! I hate to kill them BUT ! Squirrel sounds good for a different dish to eat . lol

Merci, Marie,

I will stop at the dollar store on my way home.

--Janice from Toronto

Brown squirrel eating
Keeping Squirrels from Digging in Plants
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJune 5, 2007
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Squirrel Chewing
Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring
A squirrel rubbing its paws together.
Keeping Squirrels Out of an RV
Squirrel Eating From Bird Feeder
Keeping Squirrels Away (Deterring Squirrels)
🎉
🎄