Homemade Swiffer Wet Pads and Solution

By Debbie 5 1

Using a wet Swiffer mop can get expensive with the wet replacement towels that cost about $4.00 for a dozen. It adds up really fast! To combat that, I decided to try using some old thin bath towels cut to size.

I dampen them them with a cleaning solution of about 2 Tbsp. Murphy's oil soap to 2 quarts water, place them on the mop as I would the Swiffer cloths, and clean my laminate and tile floors.

Cloths can be washed and reused over and over. I save the cleaning solution in a container and it lasts a really long time. The cost is pennies compared to what I was spending! (Flannel cloth can work great as well.)

By Debbie from Fisher, IL

Showing: Comments Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

We do this too. And you can use a cheap and safe-for-the-environment vinegar/water solution on linoleum floors, as well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Stacy Emberson 30 Flag

I use a microfiber cloth on mine, after reading about it on another forum. I also refill the bottles with whatever cleaning solution I'm using at the time. Sadly, you can only do this a few times before the bottles start leaking, so I'm still looking for a reliable and easy way to reuse the bottles.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kerry Browning 2 165 Flag

Mine leaked also. So now I spray a cleaning solution from a hand-held bottle. Not as convenient, but does the job.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have found that paper towel's also work well and last pretty long. You can also spray Endust on and off you go. Everything on the towels easily come off and you can use them again. This is great if you can't seem to find any rag's because husband's somehow seem to get a monopoly on these things. dar

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Hey! Great Idea - Thanks!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I really like your idea it's very cost effective. I also have a friend that uses womens pads. You just peel and stick. If you can get past the fact that it's a pad! She swears that they work great!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

And better for the environment too! Thanks so much for the great idea!

Samantha

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Help! I have owned my clorox mop system for ages. I have been unable to use it for a long time as I can not find in any stores in my locations.

What store chains carry refill bottles?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Michal 1 Flag

I tried different types of cleaner, but the Swiffer refill is best. Is there anything that will clean as thoroughly as that? My floors weren't as clean with other liquid cleaners so I re-mopped with Swiffer and the pad was brown!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

young woman holding a Swiffer style mop
Making Replacement Pads for a Swiffer
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Floor CleanersJanuary 31, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
WetJet Package
Unclogging a Swiffer Wet Jet
young woman holding a Swiffer style mop
Making Replacement Pads for a Swiffer
Saving Money on Swiffer Pads and Mops, Linoleum Floor Being Mopped
Saving Money on Swiffer Pads and Mops
Swiffer Wet Jet
Changing the Batteries on a Swiffer Wet Jet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 4:40:00 PM on 10.0.0.218 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings