Saving Money on Swiffer Pads and Mops

Saving Money on Swiffer Pads and Mops, Linoleum Floor Being Mopped
The Swiffer is a handy and quick way to keep your floors clean. However, buying the extra pads or other refills, can really add up. This is a guide about saving money on Swiffer pads and mops.

I purchase microfiber dish towels at the dollar store. Since they're not very good for drying dishes because they do not absorb water, I use them for my Swiffer to clean my kitchen and bathroom floor. I just wet them down with warm water, wring them out then place them over the Swiffer and scrub the floor. They're washable, thus reusable and I don't have to spend the big bucks for refills.

Source: Got the idea from my friend Julia. She does the same thing

Don't throw away those used dryer sheets, there is yet another use for them. I finally bought a Swiffer for my floors, because my knees won't allow me to clean on all fours, but I'm not spending money on refill cloths, wet or dry.

I use 2 used dryer sheets, tucked in just like Swiffer sheets. It picks up all of our lost hairs, the dog hairs, dust, and whatever comes in on our shoes.

And if I'd like to wet mop, an old t-shirt or towel cut to size and moistened in hot soapy water does the trick. Then you can rinse the floor with another piece of scrap cloth moistened in cold clear water. These cloths can then be washed and reused too.

I've also used clean used dryer sheets on the Swiffer to "dust" along where the walls and ceiling meet. Why buy a special tool?

Another good time saver, is to tuck in several layers of the dryer sheets at one time, alternating one end after the other. Then while cleaning, just peel off one when the head is full and continue cleaning until you need to peel off another one full of "stuff".

My floors are clean and shiny, my cob webs are gone, and my knees thank me.

By Kathy from WI

The answer to those expensive Swiffer Wet jet mop head refills - finally! Go to your local Dollar store, buy the cheapest newborn diapers they carry. Mount one with the side which would normally be next to baby's skin facing out towards the floor, and wrap the edges around the mop head. It will cling to the Velcro long enough for you to slip one of those fat wide rubber bands found on heads of broccoli on each end. Mop away, then slip the rubber bands off and dispose of the diaper. Rinse the bands off for the next use.

Source: Older hands can't wring mops too well anymore and old budget won't let me afford fancier alternatives!

By dollyslaffn from Darien, GA

Use an old sweater's arm for a perfect fit on your rectangular mop. I find acrylic sweaters to gather the most dust and gunk while leaving a nice shine. You can use them and wash them for reuse over and over.

Source: My mother and her Swiffer-head disposal angst

When I use the disposable Swiffer type cleaning cloths, I flip them over to use the clean side before tossing them in the trash. This works well with the dry dust mop cloths. It doubles the use of each cloth. The wet ones do OK, but not as well. They seem to tear and pull out of the base when flipped.

By Priscilla from Lawton, OK

To save on purchasing those disposable paper Swiffer cloths, or if you've run out of them, simply slide an old white sports sock onto the head of your Swiffer. (tube or crew socks work well). You can dust your walls, reach cobwebs, clean ceiling fan blades, lamp shades, etc., then throw away the sock, or launder and reuse! This saves time and saves money. Those odd socks that are left over when the washing machine eats the matching sock now can be re- purposed!

Source: I found an odd sock in the laundry chute, saw a dust bunny and my swiffer had no refills left in the box; so I improvised! It works very well and I'll wash and re-use that handy white sock!

By hilary from Exeter, NH

I have been recycling my hubby's old socks into swiffer pads. I cut the end of of both ends of the sock and a cut down one side of the sock between the two cut ends, Then I fit it over the swiffer and then sometimes I sew the ends shut, sometimes I don't.

I have found using dryer sheets works great for doing my blinds and dusting. Since doing this, I have discover a great way to save money.

Use your old dusting mop for mopping with a dollar store washcloth. You can help the environment by not using the disposal floor wipes. I wet a wash cloth with water and press the four corners into the perforated spots on the foam rubber mop head, just rinse often.

I love using a dry Swiffer but don't like purchasing the paper bottoms to put on them as they are quite expensive and once used they are discarded.

I bought a Swiffer regular floor sweeper when they first came out. It worked great and picked up even more dirt after I vacuumed. When I saw the price of the clothlike refills, I decided not to pay the high price.

I recently bought a Swiffer sweep and vac and I love it so much that I ran out to buy the Swiffer Wet Jet. As I was looking at it I was thinking $20 bucks (plus the price of refill pads)? So instead, I paid 97 cents for a terry cloth rag.

I use both sides of my Swiffer dry cloths before I throw them out. I purchase the Dollar General brand which is 20 for 2.00. I saw Save-a-Lot has a 20 pack for $1.00, but I haven't tried them yet. My mom does the same thing!

I have the Swiffer handle and I cut down a cleaning cloth that is used for absorbing messes, the orange ones. I put it on my Swiffer and dust. Then I wash and dry my floors it saves me money time and space.

Refresh your used Swiffer cloths by first hand washing to remove the inside dirt. To remove the particles stuck to the outside, it needs to be in a container to allow it to float. I do this in the bath tub.

This is a guide about Swiffer Wet Jet refill recipes. You can save time and money by making your own cleaning refill solution for your Wet Jet.

Floor being mopped with a Swiffer WetJet type modern mop

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making replacement pads for a Swiffer. You can make these pads; even wash and reuse them to save you money on buying the disposable ones.

young woman holding a Swiffer style mop

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Any one have any hints on how to save money on Swiffer mops? Both the cleaner and the mop heads.

Gen from Kansas

I started making my own swiffer wet cloths. They are way too expensive for the little amount of floors in my house. I felt that I was always wasting them.

I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of face cloths, some all purpose cleaner (store brand pine sol) and an air tight container. Put the facecloths in the container and pour in all of the cleaner. Just use them on the swiffer like you would the wet cloths. Launder them and return them to the container.

Proctor & Gamble, the manufacturer of Swiffer products, puts a coupon flier in the Sunday paper every few weeks where I live. I never buy Swiffers without a coupon.

I use baby wipes and any kind of cleaner should be okay.

I made my own cleaning solution by mixing some Spic'n' Span floor cleaner, warm water and a little bit of rubbing alcohol. I cut a small hole in the end of the swiffer bottle with a very sharp knife and used a cheap turkey baster to put the solution in the bottle. I then put several layers of duck tape over the hole I made. It works fine. My floors seem cleaner, also. I have all ceramic tile floors, except for the bedrooms, so I need to be able to clean them, easily, but inexpensively. Swiffer solution is too expensive.

I had seen a while back about mixing vinegar and water half and half, then adding whatever essential oil desired for the smell. I did that, but had trouble putting it back into the bottle. Louise had a much better idea for that!

I use my husband's old socks over the mophead to Swiffer with though. They pull right off and wash to re-use.

I use generic disposable diapers because someone left a package here. When I run out of those I use the dollar store face cloths. I find they work better if you double them up. .... and no paper to put into the landfill.

Wash your Swiffer cloths in the washing machine on a delicate cycle and reuse as many times as possible. They pick up lint from clothing items, so wash only with other Swiffers or put in a mesh bag to keep the pills away.

By truerblue

I got a mop with terri cloth covers. I mop with any liquid I want and toss them into the wash on a small load, short cycle, with Oxy Clean and a little laundry soap and warm water. Hang them to dry and they're ready to use again. I have even used them still damp from a previous wash and they work great. I started out with a Clorox Ready Mop, but the mop pads and cleaner were getting too expensive. This was our solution and so far it works great and is good for the environment.

I love my swifter

I always turn it over after the first side gets too dirty. On both the dry and wet swifter towels

seen on T.V. the coupon for swither mop the would like one

These are some pretty good ideas! Well I had already thought about taking an old clean dishcloth and using in place of the cloth. I think anything that would fit and be able to be stuffed in those spots to hold it on. It could be wet and then great for quick damp mopping. Also I bought some generic swiffer dry cloth refills at Wal-Mart. I have not tried them yet tho. They were much cheaper tho. Something about the wet ones tho. Have you ever noticed the warning about using them around pets and children? That bothers and worries me. I don't intend to buy those anyway but did get a couple along with my swiffer when I bought it. I think if you read the ingredients you won't want to use those!

Hi,

I recently read about a woman using the liquid swifer cleaner on her floors at home and her dog had gotten very ill and actually died and they ended up finding out that it was from that liquid here the dog would lick the kitchen floors and from ingesting it over time it actually killed the dog. UGH! So please becarefull.

i used the swiffer cloths for my wetjet for a while, it started getting too expensive so i bought some of the reusable cloth baby diapers and used that instead of the cloths, then just toss them in the washer when im done. they actually work better the more you wash them. they become more absorbant.

I subscribe to Cheapskate Monthly ( http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com ) and Mary Hunt recommends a product called Fabuloso liquid cleaner diluted 1/8 cup per gallon of water but also says that any liquid cleaner for floors like Spic and Span or Mr. Clean will work just fine, even your own homemade cleaner. Just read the label carefully, make sure that it does not require rinsing and dilute the cleaner according to the instructions.

She has an article on her website that says Fabuloso is so concentrated a one-liter bottle (about $2, see http://www.colgate.com for more information) makes 32 gallons of floor cleaner--thats about 8 cents per gallon.

If you want to know how to make your own household supplies (cleaning, health and beauty, garden, craft) she has a 40-page booklet called Cheapskate Solutions that is filled with recipes, formulas and instructions using stuff you already have in your pantry. Send $5 to I Need Some Cheapskate Solutions!, c/o Cheapskate Monthly, P.O. Box 2076, Paramount, CA 90723.

Where can I get cloths to fit my Swiffer mop? It is 161/2 by 41/2 in size.

I made my own from micro fiber towels that I got at the dollar tree. Then you can wash and reuse. If you sew or a family member does you can hem the cloths to keep from fraying or use fray check. When your velcro starts to get old, replace it.

You can also use Handi-Wipes, wash them and when completely worn out, just discard.

A friend of the family told us a cheap way around buying Swiffer cloths, use paper towels. When your finished with it, throw the paper towel away. All you need is cheap paper towels from the dollar store. Hope this hepls.

I cut up a towel from the thrift shop and have never thrown it out, so far I just shake it out and put it right back on. Love the Swiffer!

My son is in the Army and told me that they use socks.

I made my own from bath cloths I bought from the dollar store! Throw them in the washing machine and use them again.

I have 2 large long furred dogs who shed constantly. The Swiffer dry refills are great for my tile floors, but very pricey. I tried the store brand, but they really don't work very well. Then I tried a fabric softener sheet and it worked just as well, but was too small to put on the Swiffer dry mop. Any suggestions?

By Ciscos Mom

I have a plain old Swiffer and I didn't want to pay for the cloths that go on it. I went to the Dollar store and got similar cloths. I used it and then turned it over and used the other side the next time. I save a lot of money this way.

By Nancy from Peabody, MA

Answers:

Use Other Side Of Swiffer Pads

Swiffer sheets will also go through the washer and dryer. I found this out be accident - they work as good as new! (11/27/2006)

By Amy

Use The Other Side Of Swiffer Pads

J cloths work great also. You can get a dozen for a couple dollars. Just sew up each side and they are as good as the swifter pads. You can use both sides. They are washable too! (11/27/2006)

By PICO

Use The Other Side Of Swiffer Pads

I use my husband's worn out socks for my swiffer. Just cut off the ribbed cuff, and then cut the sock open from the top down through the heel, and to the end of the toe. Just the right size to attach to your swiffer. When you finish dusting the floors, take it outside and give it a shake, wash, dry and reuse.
(11/27/2006)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Somewhere I saw that you can use used dryer sheets in place of swiffer sheets. I can't seem to find the detail on this, can you help?

Tammy from Utah

Answers:

Dryer Sheets as Swiffer Replacements

Tammy, is this the tip you're looking for? http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf754000.tip.html (08/26/2006)

By Luvyabye

Dryer Sheets as Swiffer Replacements

You can also use old socks. They capture pethair especially well, and can be washed and reused. (08/26/2006)

By