Fixing a Swiffer WetJet That is Not Spraying

The Swiffer WetJet spray can be prone to clogging. If you can get the clog clerked out, your Swiffer WetJet will be working as good as new. This is a guide about fixing a Swiffer WetJet that is not spraying.

I followed the tips on ThriftyFun for corroded contacts, exhausted batteries, etc. After verifying with a voltage meter that the switch worked and the contacts all through the circuits to the motor were not corroded (battery compartment like new), I was able to verify that when batteries were in the compartment and I pressed the switch, there was a 6v current at the engine contacts.

The motor was frozen. I sprayed it both inside and out with WD-40 and let it sit for a minute. Still didn't start. I pressed the switch button and held it down and started tapping the motor casing with a tack hammer very gently. On the third tap, it started up and has been running ever since without a problem.

To get to the motor, take out the fluid bottle, remove the two chromed Phillips head screws holding the front fascia plate on, then remove the single screw down the swivel at the bottom. Lift up the plate to clear the swivel hinge and pull down slightly and the fascia comes out. The motor and pump are now accessible. To reassemble, put the fascia back on and replace the screws. WD-40 in the motor should prevent future water based corrosion from seizing up the motor shaft.

I refilled my WetJet and now when I use it, it doesn't spray well. The solution only shoots out weakly a few inches. Did I do something wrong and is there any way to fix this?

Mary from Hummelstown, PA

Answers

By Nancy (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Change the batteries and make sure the bottle is in all the way.

I recently purchased a Swiffer WetJet and when I went to use it, it is not spraying. I have the bottle of liquid in it that came with it. I must be doing something wrong. Please help.

By Sue M from Boylston, MA

Answers

Best Answer

I had the same problem and tried the earlier suggestion posted here. To clean where the battery connects with nail polish remover and was shocked that it worked...

What type of driver tool does it take to remove the cover to the pump motor? My father and I have replaced the batteries, cleaned the nozzles, and checked the batteries with a voltage meter. How can we get to the pump motor?

Answers

You will need the following tools:

• Kitchen knife or utility knife
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Regular pliers
  • Small Phillips head screwdriver

Step 1
Look on the mop handle and find the spring-loaded button that hold the handle together.

Step 2
Push on the button with the tip of your screwdriver.

Step 3
Depress the button enough to twist the handle so that it stays down.

Step 4
Now pull the handle off. Be careful to not pull too hard because there are wires in the handle.

Step 5
To keep the wires in tack go to the handgrip and remove the screws.

Step 6
There is one angled one at the back of the grip that also needs to be removed.

Step 7
Now pry up he lighter-colored pushbutton to remove the handgrip.

Step 8
The handgrip will fall apart and you can easily slide the aluminum handle off and over the 10A SPST switch.

Step 9
Open the battery cover and remove the batteries.

Step 10
Unscrew the two Phillips head screws and set them aside.

Step 11
Push down on the light purple button at the top of the battery case.

Step 12
Twist and pull the aluminum handle to remove the handle and battery case at the top of the mops head.

Step 13
The head of the mop is connected to the pump assembly by a U-joint that is secured in place by a Phillips screw.

Step 14
The hose from the pump runs down past the U-joint into the head of the mop. This connects to a T-joint with a one-way valve that runs to the nozzles of the mop.

Step 15
Unscrew the screw that is located above the U-joint and turn the pump assembly over. Now unscrew the screw in the center of the back.

Step 16

Go to the pump assembly from the top and unscrew the two screws that hold the pump to the housing.

Step 17
You can now lift the back off and pull the mod head free from the U-joint. Be careful to not lose your screws.

Step 18
There are two battery clips that attach the pump to the battery pack. The clips, slip off. If all you want is your pump you will remove the clips and take off the housing.

Step 19
You can now see the pump motor. If you want to remove the pump motor completely there is other steps to follow. However, you only want to get to the motor to see if you can fix it.

Step 20
Here is a video that can show you these steps. https://www.you … ch?v=Md5Dju_fbSE

These are nice to use but do requires general "cleaning" (battery compartment/nozzle) occasionally but you seem to be having more serious problems.

• It does appear that all the tools necessary for any repairs would be: Kitchen knife or utility knife - Needle nose pliers - Regular pliers - Small Phillips head screwdriver.
  • There are several repair videos on YouTube but it seems many people complain they are not that clear on instructions.
  • This is a familiar subject/question on ThriftyFun so you might find some suggestions to try before deciding to buy a new one.
  • https://www.thr … snt-Working.html
  • Hopefully your dad is good at repairing things and can figure out what needs to be done.

It seems many people say their Swiffer works well for about 2 years and after that it just seems to go out. Maybe they are programmed to just last that long?

I bought new batteries and the spray still doesn't come out! I think the commercials are wrong. I am very disappointed.

By Marquette