Home Repair Assistance for Senior Citizens - Categories:

AdviceCharity

Home Repair Assistance for Senior Citizens

Where do I go for help in getting home repairs done for a senior citizen living in Alabama? She is 84 years old and disabled. The home is in very poor condition and about to fall in. Please let me know if there is help for her out there.

By Dee.B

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Try your local Council on Aging.

http://liheap.ncat.org/profiles/Alabama.htm

This is just one of the sites you get when you google "alabama energy assistance".

However, keep in mind that she might have to wait. The other problem might be that once inspected, the house might be deemed too much in disrepair for her to continue occupancy. If I were you, you and the friends/neighbors/family might go in and fix what is the worst problems for now, then keep fixing it up as the money and weather permits. You can ask your local lumber yard to donate some wood, recycled windows, etc.

Advertise on CL that you need help and most likely the wonderful people in that part of the "southern hospitality" country will come forth in droves. I sure wish you all well and hope this humbler opinion helps.

PBP

Um...humble...and boy am I?

Call your local government town, city, county offices and they most certainly should be able to direct you who to call for help if they don't have a help program available themselves.

March 16, 2014 Flag

My father's home desperately needs some repairs. I can not afford to have contractors or repair people come in. I barely make 15,000 a year. My father now in his mid 80s and cannot do the work himself. I am willing to help wherever I can. He is in need of making his home more accessible for him and it needs some repairs. Do you have any ideas that may help me?

By Tammy A from sandy, utah

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is an organization that is country wide. It has different names in different states and even cities in the same state. Where I live it is called Opportunities for Independent Living(OIL) in some cities. The city where I live it is called the Independent Living Center, in other towns it is called Prairie Freedom Center. It takes a little research to find it, because of the different names it goes by.

If your Dad has a social worker with the Department of Social Services/Welfare Office they should be able to help you find it. I heard about it by word of mouth by a couple people that had received help from them. It does go by income and provides help for senior citizens and disabled people.

Another thing there is a waiting list for this help and if a person gets it they have to remain in the home for a certain number of years. If for some reason the person has to leave the home, the remainder of the balance has to be paid back on a pro-rated basis.

I have a sister that had this organization do some work on her house, and then she ended up having to go into a nursing home and had to pay back a certain amount when her house was sold. Have you tried to google something along the lines of home repair help for senior citizens in your area?

http://www.assistutah.org/repair_home.html

This may be a place you can start and ask questions. Call them and if it is not the right place they will give you another number to try.

Good luck and God Bless you and your Dad.

Better Living Charity AdviceDecember 28, 2011
Seniors Luncheon
Seniors' Luncheon Ideas
Two elderly women playing dominos.
Nursing Home Games Ideas
Senior Woman eating lunch after shopping
Saving Money as a Senior Citizen
A grandma smiling while using her tablet computer.
Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 12:10:21 AM on 10.0.1.174 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.