Home Repair Assistance for Senior Citizens

Where do I go for help in getting home repairs done for a senior citizen living in Alabama? She is 84 years old and disabled. The home is in very poor condition and about to fall in. Please let me know if there is help for her out there.

By Dee.B

Filter Sort

By ilovesophie 20 164 Flag

Try your local Council on Aging.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,133 Flag

http://liheap.ncat.org/profiles/Alabama.htm

This is just one of the sites you get when you google "alabama energy assistance".

However, keep in mind that she might have to wait. The other problem might be that once inspected, the house might be deemed too much in disrepair for her to continue occupancy. If I were you, you and the friends/neighbors/family might go in and fix what is the worst problems for now, then keep fixing it up as the money and weather permits. You can ask your local lumber yard to donate some wood, recycled windows, etc.

Advertise on CL that you need help and most likely the wonderful people in that part of the "southern hospitality" country will come forth in droves. I sure wish you all well and hope this humbler opinion helps.

PBP

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,133 Flag

Um...humble...and boy am I?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Call your local government town, city, county offices and they most certainly should be able to direct you who to call for help if they don't have a help program available themselves.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Home Repair Help for Senior Citizens

By allred12345 1

My father's home desperately needs some repairs. I can not afford to have contractors or repair people come in. I barely make 15,000 a year. My father now in his mid 80s and cannot do the work himself. I am willing to help wherever I can. He is in need of making his home more accessible for him and it needs some repairs. Do you have any ideas that may help me?

By Tammy A from sandy, utah

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Laura 154 Flag

http://www.assistutah.org/repair_home.html

This may be a place you can start and ask questions. Call them and if it is not the right place they will give you another number to try.

Good luck and God Bless you and your Dad.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Better Living Charity AdviceDecember 28, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
American Flag
Maintaining a Flag
Two elderly women playing dominos.
Nursing Home Games Ideas
Senior Woman eating lunch after shopping
Saving Money as a Senior Citizen
A grandma smiling while using her tablet computer.
Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:56:18 PM on 10.0.1.229 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsAnswers
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings