Using an Antenna With DirecTV

I have had DirecTV installed but we do not receive local channels and thus invested in a Terk antenna that sits on the dish. Now, how should it be installed (the antenna came w/ more wire connections (wires) than the satellite provides for). Also, to receive stations locally should the DirecTV system be turned off while the antenna is in use? Several years ago we had the same setup and it worked fine but this one is so different; I am just not sure.

Hope to hear from someone that can give me some advice.

Nelwyn from Bunkie,LA

The answers depend on the model. Have you bought a TV-41, TV-42 or TV-44 model?

If you have TV-41 model, you have to switch between the satellite and off-air signals by pressing the button at the receiver remote.

TV-42 is for dual-LNB dishes, hence it has two built-in diplexers, more wires and you don't have to switch off the receiver to enjoy OTA broadcasts.

TV-44 is good for dual- and tripple-LNB dishes.

BTW, based on the terk antenna reviews at none of them is great ... In my experience, the best product from Terk is HDTVo

We have DirectTV with an antenna for local channels. The antenna is hooked up as normal with a co-ax cable. Turn the Dtv box off and you should be able to use the TV as you would if the Dtv were not installed. If not, something needs to be changed. Ask the people who installed your dish. When the installer came we told him that we wanted to be able to get regular signals too and he installed it that way. I can record from regular TV and Dtv in the same night and the Dtv box turns on and off at the right times. It's an old box [7 or 8 years] so I don't think it matters what model you have.

Saving Money on an HD Antenna
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Pressure Cooker on White Background
Using A Pressure Cooker
A DIRECTV style dish on a rooftop.