Very Dry Lips

I have a real problem with dry, red skin around my lips - especially on the sides. I have used lip balms, vaseline, Aquaphor, plain vegetable oil and nothing seems to be working. Before I end up seeing a dermatologist, has anyone out there had this problem and what helped clear it up? It is downright painful sometimes! Thanks for your input.

mtm from PA

I have used Mary Kay Extra Emoillient Night Cream on my lips for the past 20 plus years.....I keep a small container in my purse, and use it religiously night and day. I have never had dry or chapped lips since using it. It is also really great for little children's cheeks in the winter to prevent chapping. Hope this helps!

Hi, I have used Zim's Crack Creme lip formula. I found it at walgreens, rite aid, and kmart. It's the most effective one i've tried. Hope it works for you!

I had something similar years ago and I went to see a dermatologist about it. He watched me as we talked and pointed out I was biting/scraping the sides of my lower lip and just past them as a nervous habit while I talked. I broke that habit and haven't had that trouble since.

Could you be doing something like this unconsciously?

I just read somewhere that any petroleum-based product will dry your lips out, rather than the reverse. Therefore , you should check all products you use on your lips to see if they have petroleum in them; i.e., petrolatum, etc.

Some toothpastes, Colgate Total is one of these, cause a contact dermatitis type reaction if they are not rinsed off your skin completely when brushing your teeth. A dermatologist can help you to get rid of that if your toothpaste is the problem. If toothpaste is not the cause, then maybe it's a REALLY bad case of chapped lips and skin. I've been using Carmex religiously for the last 20 years or so for chapped lips, and I slather it on liberally at night and use it during the day intermittently. It works great with continual use. Good Luck! Tori

I have used Feet Treet from www.aloetherapy.com and it really works great. The base is Aloe Vera and everyone knows how healing Aloe is""

Had dry lips so badly years ago they were cracking and bleeding. When all else failed, an old time pharmacist told me to dab on plain white vinegar several times a day. In a few days my lips were back to normal.

Can be caused by sleeping with your mouth partially open.

If you email me your address, I'll send you a sample of my company's Honeydew Lip Balm. Its a wonderfully moisturizing lip balm which is subtly flavored with natural honey, no added sugars or chemicals to worry about! I'm sure it will help. Here's my email address: forgetmenotaroma(at)aol.com.

Marla

http://www.forgetmenotaromas.com - Our fragrances leave lasting impressions.

There is a pill you can buy in the vitamin section called Lysine -- a nutritional supplement, I guess you would call it. It will help with cracks at the corners of the mouth, as well as with cold sores and canker sores. Works for me!

Never use petroleum products on your skin. I agree with the vinegar idea, it is great for the skin. Arbonne international products are petroleum free moisturizers and products that is safe for your skin. Good luck.

I've always heard that products with mineral oil clogged up your skin. Is mineral oil a petroleum product? I've never heard that before about petro products- going to try the vinegar as my lips seem to be falling off in chunks. Thanks for all the good ideas.

Another possibility is that you may be allergic to the chemical they use in cosmetics for suncreen. Its a fairly common allergy but not a lot of people know about it. When I use any cosmetics with SPF [I cant remember the chemical name] I get a red flaky rash. If your dry lips are also red and sore, also on the skin right around the mouth, this may be your problem. The majority of lipsticks and glosses have SPF. It's hard to find ones that dont give me a rash. Burt's Bees www.burtsbees.com makes a great lip balm with all natural ingredients. Carmex is also good. I mainly use vaseline when I'm at home. Try some plain vaseline for a week or so and no balms or lipsticks. If your lips heal up then you will know what is causing the problem.

Good luck, Joyann

very dry, scaly lips can sometimes be attributed to lip cancer. slighly extreme, but if you have redness round the lips too, and a weakening of the lip line, you should definitely see your doctor

I am dealing with the red flakiness around my lips and my eyes...I think it may have started as an allergic reaction, but something has kept it irritated. One comment I read on another site suggested candida and treating it as such. If your lips respond to the vinegar that one poster suggested, then it could be a yeast problem. Have you looked into this?

no idea. i have the same lip problem and ive tried everything, lip balm, blistex, different kind of lip solutions, i even tried soaking it in water, it was just red and itchy for a bit but then it turned back into a flakey rash, and im going to make an appointment so hopefully doctors have a better solution for me

1. Don't freak out and listen to these people diagnosing cancer.

2. Apply Cider vinegar to the area -- it will burn like you won't believe. You likely have a Candida (fungus) infection, and this will help. You can't ever keep this area sterile, so you're shooting for balance (yeast/fungus vs. bacteria). Vinegar is pro-bacteria, anti-yeast/fungus.

3. Get some iron. Cracks around the sides of your mouth can indicate anemia.

It sounds to me like you may need vitamin B-2 (I think) it is also called Riboflavin. My mother used to give it to me as a child when I had painful cracks in the corners of my mouth. They usually went away within a day or two. You might also use the oil out of a vitamin E capsule at night on your lips.

a drop of extra virgin olive oil is amazing...try it...

Don't listen to these people telling you to apply vinegar or oil. Applying vinegar makes it worse than it is. Whoever says that obviously doesn't know what they're talking about.

Go get yourself some B2 vitamins, take 1 a day, and in about a week or two it will be gone. It's lack of nutrients that's giving you the red dry lips, and it's lack of (riboflavin, aka B2 vitamin).

I have the same thing. My lips always get dry, and lip care never works. I think I may give vinegar a go. I also seem to get a red outline around my lips. Does anyone else get this?

Dehydration often plays a big role in dry lips. Ensuring that you drink enough water on a daily basis can help keep your lips from getting dry in the first place. If you have habit of licking lips continuously, avoid licking your lips. Ensure your body is not deficient in B vitamins, iron or essential fatty acids. If its there take a multivitamin/mineral supplement after consultation with your physician.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesJanuary 11, 2006
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Primary Colored Shirts on Clothesline
Making a Clothesline
Homemade Lip Plumper
Homemade Lip Plumper
Chapped Lips
Remedies for Chapped Lips
🎉
🎄