Canned Bean Sprout Recipe

Growing up, my mother used to make this meal using Chun King bean sprouts. It contained hamburger, celery, and bean sprouts. I can't remember anything else, but I remember the celery took on the flavor of the meat and I loved it.

I've tried to find the recipe on the web with no luck. It used be on the can of bean sprouts. I haven't looked lately, but last time I did, it wasn't there. Does anyone know about this recipe and if so, would you share it? Thanks.

By Vikki28217 from Charlotte, NC

Best Answer

It was kind of a chop suey sort of dish. My impression is cooked and drain hamburger, slice celery and onion, add to hamburger with 1 bouillon cube, bit of water for sauce, in which is 1 tablespoon cornstarch, some soy sauce. Heat until thickened, which cooks the veggies just enough.

It could have had sliced mushrooms. Served with steamed rice. I use bouillon-KNORR- from Walmart, about 75 cents per box. The bouillon (I use both beef for beef and chicken for poultry) is excellent and often a half cube is enough. You could probably substitute leftover roasted chicken shreds too.

I might be wrong, because I think it goes back to the 60's. You can buy fresh sprouts now too at the grocers. Just the heat of the sauce, and maybe put a lid on for 5 minutes after bring to a boil to thicken would cook the veggies.

Best Answer

If anyone is interested, here's the recipe:

La Choy Brown Gravy Sauce

1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup

1 teaspoon La Choy Soy Sauce

Combine the two ingredients.

Chop Suey

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter

1 pound hamburger

1 medium onion, chopped

Dash ground black pepper

2 teaspoons salt

2 cups diced celery

1 1/2 cups boiling water

2 cups bean sprouts, rinsed and drained

1 can (2 ounces) mushrooms, drained

Hot cooked rice or chow mein noodles

For the sauce:

2 tablespoons water

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 tablespoon Brown Gravy Sauce (recipe above)

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

Melt the butter in a frying pan and fry the beef until light brown. Add the onion, pepper, salt, celery and boiling water. Bring to a boil; cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the meat is tender. Add the bean sprouts and mushrooms.

Combine the sauce ingredients, add to the hot mixture and stir until thickened. Serve over rice or chow mein noodles.

If it is still too bland for your taste, you might add teryaki sauce to it. I also use 2 bouillon cubes in the 1 1/2 cups water. We love water chestnuts so I put a can of those and didn't add the mushrooms because I don't really know what a good mushroom looks like and I didn't have any.

It's sad but I realize that as I get older, my taste buds are getting old too! LOL! Vicki

Not sure if this is the one you were thinking of:

Chun King got bought out by ConAgra and was merged with La Choy.

I just read this post. My mother used to make hamburgers with bean sprouts. I called them worms and it was not my favorite dish, however, being a little It was a healthier way to eat them. :)

Thanks to all who responded. Last night it came to me that it was called Hamburger Chop Suey and it was LaChoy not Chun King. I don't ever remember the brown sauce so I'm going to try it with the bouillon cube and cornstarch. I bought the ingredients today and plan to have it for dinner tomorrow. Yum! I'm also going to add Chinese vegetables to it with the bean sprouts that I saw in another recipe.

Kghsave, I'm not too sure I would have liked hamburgers with bean sprouts either! LOL! The only reason I liked the bean sprouts was that the whole dish combined to have this wonderful taste that is hard to exlain. I hope I enjoy it as much now as I did then but I think I will.

Thanks again all, Vicki

I just remembered to check back on this post after finding a recipe I had bookmarked is 'Hamburger Chop Suey' recipe from an old La Choy ad.

I grew up in the 60's. Here's the basic recipe:

1-lb. gd. Beef

1/2c. chopped Celery

1/2c. chopped Onion (Fry these 3 together in a pot)

Then add:

1-can sm. Bean Sprouts or Oriental Veg.

1-can ea. Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken soup (can also substitute Crm. of Onion soup) or *add if needed also. *(If you add the 3rd soup you will have to add more 1/2c. more rice and 1c. more water.)

1-c. uncooked Rice

2-c. water

2Tbl. Soy Sauce

Black pepper to taste

Mix all remaining ingredients to a simmer, cook until rice is done,stirring occasionally. may have to add a little more water if to thick during cooking. May also add additional soy sauce when serving.

Serve chow mein noodles over top.

Excellant in crock pot on low.

Oops, forgot to mention in my previous post to drain on paper towels the meat and veg. after frying together, before adding additional ingredients. This recipe also works well when using ground turkey.

Chop Suey Recipes
Chop Suey Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes International ChineseSeptember 16, 2009
Tofu on Plate with White Background
Homemade Tofu Recipes
Collard Greens
Recipes Using Canned Collard Greens
black bean burger
Bean Burger Recipes
Kidney Bean Salad
Kidney Bean Salad Recipes