Use Care With Fireworks

Parents beware! Teens and tweens love fireworks, but their brains don't comprehend the consequences of their actions. Always have an adult to supervise any fireworks. Kids can think up some crazy things!

By vguy from Earle, AR

Definitely. Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I think a lot of people don't appreciate that fireworks are in fact explosives! I also have had experiences of fireworks being tossed for fun into a crowd. And just a few years ago a rocket we were setting off fell over, shooting it straight for us and making us run for cover from the shower of sparks. If it had hit any of us we could've been seriously hurt. Fireworks are beautiful and fun, but they need to be handled with care.

I hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th of July! God bless.

Scary picture! But it says a lot. I did online research for a company about medical emergencies, and found a website from an anonymous EMT that had the most disturbing pictures of injuries, and many of them were fireworks-related. Seeing those graphic pictures and reading someone's firsthand experiences made a big impression!

I still love fireworks but leave it up to the pros, instead.

May 22, 2009 Flag

Not a tip, but an observation: I am totally blind, but that is from birth. Many of us blind people know others who are blind because of misuse or erratic behavior of fireworks. One of our friends lost fingers on both hands and his eyesight. We cannot warn strongly enough about the use of fireworks in private hands. Sure, it may be legal: but it may be the last legal thing one sees.

We know a man who reads braille with his feet or toes because of fireworks. It is our desire that our friends, acquaintances, and fellow readers not become statistics such as I have cited.

Kindest regards,
Penny from Golden, Nebraska

Answers:

Use Care with Fireworks

I read somewhere about simple sparkler fireworks burning at 1,000 degrees. These are the type that sparkle on the edge of a stick that you hold in your hands and are more likely to be given to children.
Think twice! (07/02/2007)

By cookwie

Use Care with Fireworks

Thanks Penny, I can tell you're a caring person. Good timely advice. My city just voted to be fireworks-free, and that seems fine. Yes, fireworks are awesome, they belong as part of America's wild freedom celebration, but why not go to a major show handled by the pros. You get bigger fireworks and safety too. (07/02/2007)

By kimhis

Use Care with Fireworks

God bless you richly, Penny. People like you are why God continues to bless America. Enjoy your holiday (07/02/2007)

By Beckie

Use Care with Fireworks

If you want to see fireworks, go to a pro show. If you must do at-home ones, have a bucket of water nearby to immediately drop all used pieces, or duds, into. (07/02/2007)

By

Use Care with Fireworks

I went to a neighborhood get together about 15 years ago and, thanks to a kid fooling around with fire crackers, I have very limited hearing now. (07/02/2007)

By Rasta

Use Care with Fireworks

Penny, just half an hour ago 6 teenagers walked past my house throwing firecrackers into the street. When they saw me watching them, they laughed at me. Two years ago, the guy next door put firecrackers on and around my car and close to my house. He got caught because his fingerprints were on the casings.

These are young people whose brains have not matured enough to understand how dangerous fireworks are (and how dangerous the combination of fireworks and alcohol is). And these amateurs don't stop to think that they are also scaring pets, birds and other wildlife, senior citizens, babies and people who are ill. They just don't think.

I hope no one gets hurt. Thanks for your reminder.

(07/03/2007)

By Jantoo

Fireworks on the Fourth of July
4th Of July Safety Tips
Better Living Safety PersonalMay 22, 2009
Fireworks
Saving Money on Fireworks
Mosquito Repellent Coil
Insect Repellents Safe for Use on Pets
4th of July Fireworks
4th of July Party Ideas
People Watching Fireworks on Independence Day (July 4th)
Celebrating Independence Day (July 4th)
🎄